Social media used to be a place where friends would meet virtually and share some good times. We have all seen the changes post-Covid. Businesses have since identified the importance of a social media management job; and the impact on the ‘new normal.’ From being able to sell things through social media to doing major announcements. Social media has also defined some important moments in the country, used for PR, and so much more.
You can be part of the revolution by helping companies and clients manage their reputation through social media, make sales, and build a community which can be very helpful in making some major decisions about the business. There are endless opportunities behind this platform that now defines modern communication.
The key to achieving social media success is to build an online community, spark conversations, generate leads, among others. So what does a social media/community manager do? Let’s begin with what a social media management job entails.
- Setting campaign strategies and goals
- Creating compelling and engaging visual and written content
- Managing the company’s online community
- Engaging with the company’s online community by listening to what they need and responding to their needs
- Creating leads for the company’s products by communicating about the products
- Measuring the results of various campaigns
1. Key responsibilities and personality traits
- Creative and fast-thinking. A social media management job requires someone who is able to come up with creative posts that have the potential to go viral. They should also be fast thinkers so that they can easily jump on relevant trends and generate conversations or expand their online communities, as well as respond to crisis fast.
- Extroverted. This goes without saying. A social media manager/community marketer ought to be outgoing as they need to actively interact and engage a company’s community both online and offline.
- Excellent communication skills. Social media management jobs require people with impeccable communication skills. Most of the time, you will be the brand’s voice online so you should be able to communicate effectively and clearly.
- Analytical skills. Trends online are fickle and they change all the time. You should be able to analyse trends and the behaviour of your core audience so as to keep up. Use data extensively to make good decisions about your strategies.
- Actively keep up with technology trends. Being a fairly new trend, things keep changing over time as social media marketing evolves. This means that you should always try to keep up with the changes by actively trying out new ideas.
2. Outstanding skills
While the above-mentioned skills really set one off to a good and rewarding social media management job, you need to stand out from the crowd. Most people think that social media marketing simply involves putting up posts but it takes much more than that. To set yourself apart, you need the following skills;
- You should be conversant with analytical tools such as Google Analytics, Slack, Sprout, and other analytical tools for individual social media channels. This helps you to gain insights into your audience’s behaviour and tailor your strategy to their needs.
- A social media management job will occasionally mean you need to have influencers pushing your posts and brand on their channels so as to reach a bigger audience. This will especially come in handy when you are running campaigns.
- A good community marketer requires graphic design and video editing skills. Visuals and videos are really important on social media. Therefore, to stand out, you will need to have basic skills in creating visual messages.
- A great deal of social media marketing involves handling customer inquiries. You, therefore, need to have good skills in customer management in order to handle your online community well.
Now that you know what exactly it takes to be excel in a social media managment job, just what qualifications do you need to get into this field?
- A Bachelor’s degree in any communication field (PR, Journalism)
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing
A job in social media marketing is exciting and definitely has a lot of new challenges as different platforms evolve. It takes more than simply posting on social media to be successful and you must have a clear understanding of the brand’s goals as well as your target audience. Here are available vacancies to check out!