Location: 100% Farm (Farm based in rural area in Homa Bay County, Kenya)
Annual bonus: 0 – 30% of gross basic
We are a rapidly growing organisation and as such are seeking to recruit highly
experienced, qualified and motivated individuals who are capable of immediately
having a positive impact, helping us to achieve our goals. The ideal candidate
will have obtained a university degree (or equivalent in work experience). They
will have 5+ years’ experience working in commercial aquaculture.
EXPERIENCE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Experience in cage aquaculture in large-scale production systems, including cage and mooring installation, fish handling, grading, harvesting and feeding.
- Strong knowledge of fish biology, nutrition and water quality, as well as animal health and pathology.
- Strong logistical and operational mindset
- Experience of establishing and implementing protocols and SOPs.
- Able to lead large teams (6-8 direct reports, overall responsibility for >100 people) in multiple work streams, including technical and logistics-intensive activities.
- Efficient in multi-tasking and accomplishing range of projects on schedule.
- Strong teamwork and ability to function well in groups, including strong communication skills.
- Desire to learn and progress within the organization.
- Efficiency focussed, with strong problem-solving skills.
- Incredibly diligent and able to follow projects through to completion.
- Dedicated to excellence and detail-oriented execution.
Furthermore, the ideal candidate would have experience in using Aqua Manager or similar fish management software, be a competent swimmer and scuba diver and experienced in handling small boats. Also, specific knowledge and experience with tilapia would be advantageous.
Ideally, the candidate will also have experience of working in a rural environment within a developing country. In cases without developing country experience, candidate must demonstrate a strong willingness and desire to relocate to Kenya.
In addition to the daily workload within the production department, we expect the Production Manager to assist in supporting and creating processes within other departments.
ABOUT VICTORY FARMS:
Victory Farms is an integrated tilapia fish farm established in 2015 producing fish in Lake Victoria with distribution capacity throughout Kenya. VF is rapidly expanding its farm operations, fish processing, and sales & marketing capabilities. We employ world-class technologies, people and processes, aiming to build the leading sustainable tilapia farm globally. The Company has the highest standards for performance, execution, culture, and integrity.
Since inception, VF is among the fastest growing companies in aquaculture globally. In its first eight months of operation, VF became the largest aqua player in Kenya. In its next eight months, VF became the largest aqua player in East Africa. The company added 100 employees in its first year of operation and will likely add about 150 staff per 12 months in future periods.
VF’s first location is licensed for and operationally on track to produce 10,000 MT p.a. by 2020, which would make the company both the largest in Africa and the fastest growing.
Victory Farms Vision:
Victory Farms aims to become the leading tilapia farm in sub-Saharan Africa over the next 3 years. The Company will achieve this whilst maintaining the highest code of environmental and social standards.
Environmentally, we will endeavour to be the most sustainable tilapia farm in the world. This means we aim to sink carbon for every fish produced – a feat not yet achieved by a commercial fish farm globally. In practice, we will build infrastructure and smart grids to utilize 90% renewable energy. We will preserve the integrity of our site and everywhere we operate our business. And we will support local wildlife and native fish species in every way possible.
Socially, we want to create a fantastic environment for our employees. We want employees to have an opportunity to develop professionally and personally. We want employees to feel safe, respected, and valued by both fellow staff and management.