- Course Attendants
- Irrigation Technicians
- Machine Operators
- Course Operations Supervisor
The Main objective of this role is to provide assistance in the management, maintenance, care and overall appearance of a golf course.
KEY MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE / KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The performance of this role holder will be assessed on the basis of the achievements made on:
- Achieve financial budgets for golf and course.
- Get maximum financial value for the club by buying good quality equipment at the best prices.
- Cost management – reduce the cost of running the golf course e.g. no wastage and efficient use of labour and other resources.
- Ensure green audits – no failed audits of the department.
- Completion of agreed projects within agreed timelines and set budgets. Ensure all benefits from each project are realised. Carry out a benefit analysis six months after project completion – including purchase of equipment.
- Implementation of the annual course maintenance schedule for the year.
- Performance Management – ensure that you have the best performing team achieving set objectives.
- Ensure green audits of your department.
- Effective staff supervision, management and motivation of twenty-two (22) course staff and any temporary staff
- Handle all staff disciplinary issues expeditiously and without breaching labour laws.
- Ensure stock schedule of machinery spares and other golf course equipment are properly maintained and accounted for.
- Degree of compliance to laid down policies, procedures and standards.
- Playable golf course 24/7
- How well the irrigation system is working ensuring all parts of the course are well irrigated.
- Quality of the greens, fairways, roughs, bunkers, flowers, and trees to all be maintained in the best playable condition at all times. Take special care of greens to ensure no weeds, or dry patches.
Course Maintenance & Management
- Assist in carrying out effective turf maintenance through the establishment of schedules and maintenance programs that will maximize the efficiency at the course.
- Provide assistance in managing and supervising the preparation of all course machinery.
- Provide leadership in operating and maintaining irrigation systems.
- Maintain drainage systems.
- Plan and manage the control of weeds, pests and disease.
- Prepare the course for play by marking hazards, grounds under repair and ensuring tee markers, bunkers, golf furniture and general green maintenance is carried out.
- Prepare the course for play by setting up pin positions and placing tee markers for the day
collect and record data on the golf course environment and report on the
Supervision & Relationship Management
- Maintain a professional and welcoming approach at all times when dealing with members, guests, visitors, contractors & suppliers.
- Delegate and supervise all staff in their duties and keep firm control of their performance.
- Conduct internal staff trainings
- Communicate effectively and have management responsibility for all members of the green keeping staff.
- Identify team and individual development needs, support and guidance and provide adequate development activities to support the team/individuals.
- Ensure performance appraisals of the team is done at no greater than annual intervals.
- Carry out inductions for new staff when appropriate.
- Comply with company policies, rules and procedures at all times.
- Ensure sound systems, policies and procedures for effective functioning of the department are in place.
- Provide sound leadership to the staff in the department.
- Prepare comprehensive maintenance schedule and annual budgets for approval.
- Ensure compliance with approved budgets including prudent and timely spending.
- Ensure highest standards of operational efficiency and quality of service.
- Ensure timely reporting of department performance.
- Keep to the machinery maintenance schedule achieved through monthly reviews
Safety & Project Management
- Provide input and support to future development and renovation projects of the course and associated facilities.
- Take all responsible steps to protect the health, safety and welfare of all employees, visitors, members and contractors
- Conduct risk assessment and communicate risks and hazards to the appropriate person.
- Keep abreast of modern advances in materials, methods and machinery in green keeping
- Ensure that all premises are secured and locked prior to leaving and have a thorough understanding of club theft preventative procedures
- Knowledge of agronomy and turf grass management practices
- A working knowledge of golf facility construction principles, practices and methods
- Knowledge of current local and international laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Customer Care skills
- Team Player
- Excellent Leadership and Management Skills
- Good Organizational skills and business oriented
- Excellent problem-solving analytic
- Sound time management skills
- Professional attitude and expectations
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree from a recognized university in Agricultural field preferably Horticulture, Agronomy, Agricultural Engineering, or Landscaping & Ornamental Science
- Certificate in Microsoft Office Applications
- Minimum three (3) years’ work experience in an 18-hole golf course
- Must have at least 2 years’ experience in people management as a supervisor/manager
- Excellent knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course and maintenance work
- Ability to establish work standards, and to evaluate personnel performance; supervise the work of subordinates and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the public
- Experience in pesticide use & safety, disease and pest identification, occupational health & safety, maintenance of agricultural & irrigation equipment
- Prior experience in golf course machinery management and supervision.