ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an outstanding educator to serve as the Associate Dean of Instruction and Learning and lead professional development for teachers at one of Nova Pioneer's schools in Nairobi, Kenya. This is an opportunity to help create a transformative school model with the future of Africa’s youth at stake.
As Associate Dean of Instruction serving on the school leadership team, you will help the Principal establish an extremely strong and vibrant school culture consistent with Nova Pioneer's core culture principles. However, your primary focus is teacher development. Drawing on support from instructional leaders on Nova Pioneer's network team, you will create a professional development “machine” inside the school: deliberate practice routines and management habits that stretch teachers professionally and give them higher quality, more intensive coaching than they can get anywhere else. You will build a pipeline of homegrown local teacher talent inside the school that produces master teachers and great instructional leaders over time.
Specific key responsibilities for the role include:
- Work with the Principal to articulate a compelling short- and long-term vision for the development of the school’s culture and program
- Set and model a consistent tone of highest expectations, joy, and growth mindset
- Lead key school rituals as needed to model and ingrain culture
- Quickly identify and respond to classroom/school culture or behavior issues
- Lead instruction sessions for parents
- Follow up with Learning Design team on teachers’ feedback on lesson plans.
- Coordinate with Academic Support team on availability of learning materials and teaching resources.
- With the support and development from the Dean of Instruction and Learning:
a)Serve as hiring manager for all instructional staff hires
b)Coach teachers through extensive observation and feedback
c)Supervise all professional development routines and activities across the school
d)Facilitate collaboration among teachers within/across grade levels and subject areas
e)Collect, analyze, share and interpret internal and external school assessment data and ensure that data is used strategically to improve student academic performance
f)Oversee planning, execution and analysis of intervention programs targeted at needs of diverse academic subgroups, whether remedial or enrichment
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in education and are TSC certified
- You have at least 2 years of experience in a rigorous, high-expectations school setting including at least one instructional leadership role (e.g., department chair, grade level lead, teacher coach, etc.)
- You are widely recognized as a highly effective teacher and can model what great, inquiry-based teaching looks like
- You have a track record of improving other people’s performance through coaching and build uncommonly strong relationships
- You have an exceptional ability to think strategically and yet you sweat the small stuff—people see you as unusually detail-oriented and conscientious
- You are driven by data and know how to use data from student assessments to strengthen and differentiate student learning
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback
- You have a desire to further develop your learning design skills and apply them to transform the lives of African youth
ABOUT NOVA PIONEER
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school. Nova Pioneer uses a unique, enquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 8 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
WORKING AT NOVA PIONEER
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than at most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary. We offer consistent and ongoing professional development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning.