The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and innovative scientist with expertise in conducting research on genetic improvement of biotic resistance to design and implement biotechnology strategies to confer host resistance to multiple diseases of the potato.
About the role This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, and will report to the Game Changing Solutions Leader. The successful candidate will partner with expert teams both within and outside CIP from disciplines such as molecular biology, pathology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Scientist will contribute to the development of regulatory and stewardship activities related to biotech products. The Scientist will contribute to fund raising and lead a team of research scientists and technicians.
- Conduct research in potato to design and implement biotechnology strategies to confer host resistance to multiple diseases of the potato.
- Remain current on molecular biology including genome editing approaches amenable to crop improvement by participating in professional meetings and career development activities.
- Establish collaborative research initiatives to identify new genes contributing to disease resistance in potato.
- Identify and exploit useful novel techniques to speed up the processes of development and characterization of transgenic potatoes.
- Participate in field evaluations of the developed transgenic potatoes.
- Design original research related to the institution program priorities to develop publications in peer-reviewed journals of international significance.
- Contribute to fund raising initiative by jointly developing research ideas, concept notes, and proposals with the relevant teams within CIP and with external partners.
What are we looking for?
- PhD in in molecular biology or related fields.
- At least 4 years of international experience with genetically engineered plants, preferably potato, and lab techniques such as: PCR, RT-PCR, Southern blotting, sub-cloning, genome sequencing and bioinformatics.
- Good communication abilities to scientists and to the public. • Track record of relevant scientific publications.
- Research experience in sub-Saharan Africa is an asset.
- Good capabilities to supervise and mentor young staff.
- Knowledge of project management.
- Strong team player, self-motivated, goal-oriented and committed to shared goals.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to work in a multi-partner, multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent level in written and spoken English.
**How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on December 21st, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.