REPORTS TO: GENERAL MANAGER
NATURE AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION
Within the organisation the Branch Manager reports to the General Manager and is responsible for the operations of the branch and provides a link with the head office.
The Incumbent evaluates the effectiveness of the branch operations to ensure that the policies are observed and strategic objectives are achieved.
Business Development– 30 %
- Assess the conditions, identify current and prospective business development opportunities
- Lobby for new and renewal business in the market through agents, brokers and direct clients
- Identify new marketing initiatives through designing marketing strategies
- Analyze customer research, current market conditions and competitor information.
- Recommend desirable changes in the policies and goals of the branch and the organisation to the management.
- Enhance effective communication with other branches and senior management by sharing information on effective practices, business opportunities and needs.
- Work in liaison with head office in organising marketing workshops.
- Develop effective marketing strategy by creating a sustainable and comprehensive sales and marketing plan
Underwriting – 25 %
- Assess the extent of risks presented, determine and decline excessive or substandard risks
- Process new and renewal debits and endorsements
- Collect premiums and issue receipts
- Recommend reinsurance of policy when the risk involved is high
- Give recommendations on risk minimization measures for risky business e.g pre-inspection of motor vehicles before commencement of cover
- Ensure business acquired for the various classes is reinsured as per agreed terms
- Ensure all risk assessments and decisions are made on acceptability and costing
- Ensure business accepted is documented with agreed terms
- Renew existing policies as they fall due
- Issue new policies and renewal of the existing policies as needs arise
- Maintain communication with agents, brokers and other stakeholders to obtain further market information, quote rates, or explain the company’s underwriting policies.
Administration – 15%
- Direct and control the branch team to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and aligned so as to achieve the company’s objectives
- Oversee the branch financial management
- Direct all operational aspects of the branch to include customer service, human resource, administration and sales in a manner that supports profitability
- Maintain all branch records and ensure they are up to date
- Oversee and supervise all outsourced services
- Ensure safe keeping of company assets, including structures, equipment, inventory and cash
- Maintain and enforce personnel policy
- Oversee life insurance business production
Reporting – 10%
- Preparing monthly branch activity report giving details of the branch performance, business growth and loss and feedback on market practices from customers for action or improvement.
- Quarterly business development reports to present to the Management board
- File reports necessary to comply with the law and other insurance regulations for audit.
Human Resource Management – 10%
- Give orientation to new employees
- Recommend staff for employment or promotion within the branch to head office in accordance with the company regulations
- Handle all staff issues regarding supervision, departmental requirement on staffing, appraisals, training, discipline and annual leave
- Provide technical guidance to branch staff
- Assign and delegate departmental duties to underwriting staff
Customer Relationship Management – 10%
- Address customer satisfaction issues promptly whilst maintaining an effective communication system by establishing healthy PR with customers, management, internal departments in accordance with the corporate strategy
- Ensure renewal notice letters are sent to clients and follow up if the renewals were received by the client
- Advise clients on changes in policies
Any other duties as may be instructed.
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL TEAMS, YOUR PURPOSE AND ROLE
For the effective delivery of this role, you will work will closely with all departments in the head office in facilitating division of labour to achieve set objectives
- Finance department – to gather debtors references on outstanding premiums, reconciliations, and record defaulters
- Claims department – to get feedback on performance of various insurance classes for decision making purposes
- Underwriting department- to get quotations
- Marketing manager – liaise in accessing new markets
- Administration – for material requisitions
- Life and Pension - to enhance business development
- Medical department – to liaise in business and policy development
A number of reports are necessary for the effective delivery of this role:-
- Monthly premium analysis report – for business reference, decision making, policy renewals and premiums follow up
- Business development reports for Management meetings; these are used for monitoring the trend of branch performance.
- Renewal notices reports produced for ensuring that clients get up tio date information on policy renewals
- Brokers and agents – lobbying for new business
- Outsourced service providers – coordinate service delivery
- Loss adjusters
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in commerce or Business Administration
- Certificate in Insurance – CII
- At least 7 years’ experience in the Insurance sector
- Technical competence in underwriting insurance risks
- Knowledge of the insurance industry
- Good Numerical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good negotiation and presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Prudent ethical practices
- Good interpersonal and public relation skills
- Strong entrepreneurial drive