International Trade Centre (ITC)
Terms of Reference
Business and Entrepreneurship Consultant for Refugee Employment and Skills Initiative
Division of Country Programmes (DCP / OD)
Duration: 4 months, extension possible
Duty station: Kakuma, Kenya
Period: 01 June 2019 – September 2019
About ITC: The International Trade Centre (ITC) is a joint agency of the United Nations and the World Trade Organization, focusing in particular on developing the export capabilities of small and medium-sized businesses in developing and transition economies. ITC is 100% “Aid for Trade”, supporting trade that delivers inclusive and sustainable development results.
About the assignment: The Refugee Employment & Skills Initiative (RESI) deploys innovative ways to address livelihoods development in protracted humanitarian situations. The RESI approach harnesses productive potential and works towards building market connections for the benefit of refugees and local communities to enhance shared growth.
Central to RESI’s approach is its two-fold intervention; promoting the development of commercially valuable skills for refugees and host communities alike while supporting local small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) in creating value and employment in the host countries through increased national, regional and international business.
The RESI project launched a small pilot project in the Kakuma camp in Kenya in 2018 and will expand on this pilot project during 2019. The RESI Kakuma project focuses on building mid to high level digital skills for online freelancing and then connecting participants to international markets and jobs.
A key component of this work is the business and entrepreneurship development support provided for both freelancers in training and local micro, small and medium sized enterprises (MSMEs).
After joining the RESI team, the RESI Business and Entrepreneurship Consultant will provide localized trainings using ITC methodologies and content for entrepreneurship and business development.
The consultant will provide trainings, workshops and mentorship for freelancers, entrepreneurs and small businesses in Kakuma in order to improve capacities and contribute to building a business environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The National Consultant will work under the overall supervision of the ITC Project Manager, RESI, and the NRC Head of Programme.
The National Consultant will:
- Adapt business development trainings to Kakuma context;
- Provide trainings to local freelancers and businesses on business development and improving business competitiveness;
- Provide mentorship and support to students participating in the ITC eLearning Entrepreneurship programme;
- Provide ongoing business and entrepreneurship mentorship to RESI participants through in person and remote advising related to business topics such as business plans, client communications, and quality assurance, etc.
Qualifications, Competencies and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Commerce, or Business Administration, or any other relevant area
- Minimum 1 year experience working on business development or entrepreneurship
- Past experience working on a project similar in scope and mission
- High proficiency in computer skills particularly MS-Office
- Strong research, analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to work independently, with flexibility and deliver results under time pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong attention to detail
Languages: Written and spoken fluency in English and Swahili.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV and a cover letter to Katherine Schlinder at email@example.com.