Department: Junior Management
Reporting to: Ops Manager, Nairobi Office
- Complete Muster Roll/rotas for your team; manage and maintain correct staffing levels in line with targets and business levels.
- Maintain product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations and investigating complaints to initiate corrective action.
- Constantly conducting departmental in-training and reviewing to ensure that all procedures are followed.
- Performing scheduled appraisals for staff evaluation and enhancement.
- Implement and maintain effective open-door communication within departments to ensure all are working for a common goal.
- Ensure that all staff are provided with nutritional meals, bedding, correct uniforms and any necessary equipment while on duty and recommendations for replacement where necessary.
- Ensure that staff are working safely at all times and that they are complying with health and safety and other relevant regulations and guidelines.
- Carry out regular checks of items issued to staff and inspection of their accommodation to ensure cleanliness.
- Conduct regular meetings with all staff to discuss any concerns or feedback, encourage initiatives, motivate and empower staff.
- Develop strong relationships with the staff and encourage an attitude of openness and honesty amongst the staff.
- Use heads of department and the chain of hierarchy to communicate with and control staff.
- Deal with staff disciplinary issues in liaison with the Operations Manager.
Assets & Stock:
- Be a custodian of Company Assets which includes submitting regular scheduled stock and asset checks and Damage reports and request replacements where necessary.
- Keep repair & maintenance records and coordinate with the Operations Manager to ensure that this is carried out. This includes scheduling all Generator service and fuel requirements.
- Liaise with Storekeeper/Purchasing in placing orders and ensure stock levels are constantly monitored and orders are placed in time for replenishment (Dry goods, Fresh Dairy & Produce, Beverages). This includes:
- Receiving goods, counter checking against the order and reporting missing or damaged items
- Distribution to the correct departments
- Ensuring the correct storage of assets & consumables
- Controlling stock usage
- Ensure that you follow the Procedures Manual and Tasks outlined at all times.
- Complete scheduled reports to the Operations Manager regarding any other issues that require attention.
- Submit the Muster Roll to Accounts for salary payment processing.
- Complete regular returns for Expense Advances in order to request additional funds.
- Ensure compliance with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations in consultation with the Operations Manager.
- Keep all documentation in order and ensuring that clearly marked files are kept.
- Ensure a standard of service excellence is maintained and contribute with a hands-on approach with day-to-day operations. Display strong diplomacy, interpersonal and guest liaison skills. Be patient and have good organizational skills. Focus on a personalized guest experience is essential.
- Liaise with the clients guide to confirm their daily schedule and communicate with the Heads of Departments:
- Ensure that all guest activities are organised
- Ensure that all meals are well coordinated according to the schedule
- Ensure that the dining area and lounge is set up accordingly.
- Ensure that Guides are well prepared.
- Food and beverage
- Supervision of kitchen ensuring high standard of cleanliness and hygiene.
- Supervision of food quality and presentation.
- Co-ordinate with the Head Cook in collaboration with Operations Manager in preparing special menus with varieties which suit our high-end clientele.
- Ensure that guest rooms and public areas are inspected and standard of set up and cleanliness are kept to the optimum.
- Ensure that all departments observe hygiene standards, provide expected quality service, maintain consistency and establish or ensure procedures and checklists are adhered to.
- Ensure that all waste is recycled and disposed according to Company policy.
- Ensure that Back of House areas are kept neat and tidy at all times.
- Complete Client Briefing upon arrival and answer any questions that may arise from guests and guides.
- Ensure that all departmental procedures are followed.
- Ensure up to date data of incoming guests is received and distributing this information to the relevant Heads of Department to schedule and plan accordingly. (Service Confirmation Vouchers & Vehicles Movement Charts are vital reference documents)
- This includes arrival and departure times for collection and guide/vehicle scheduling, dietary needs, itinerary requirements, special requests.
- Deal with customer complaints and liaise with the Nairobi office and/or Operations accordingly.
- Responsible for dealing with the general public, customer, local community, employees and government officials with tact and courtesy.
- Act as a central control point in any emergency situation following the company “Emergency Response Plan”.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of and know what to do in any emergency as per the “Emergency Response Plan”.
- Report any hazards identified and all actions you have taken.
- Constantly search for new ideas to enhance client enjoyment and experience.
Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
- Relevant Diploma/ Certificate in Hospitality Management
- Must have over 2 years of experience in Supervision working in the Hospitality sector –Bush Camping or small/boutique Permanent Camps/Lodges
- Must be a strategic and creative thinker
- Organized, accurate and detail oriented
- Commitment to teamwork
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Enthusiastic, diplomatic and calm under pressure
- Ability to develop creative ideas and transform them into practical reality
- Cost conscious oriented person.
- Ability to identify and think through logistical challenges Salary:
Salary & Benefits
Seasonal basis – 27th April 2020 to 26th October 2020 with opportunity to continue seasonal work
- WIBA insurance
- Expenses covered ‘in the bush’
- Emergency evacuation cover (AMREF).
- Whilst on safari – shared accommodation in safari tents or other industry standard lodgings or a pre-set nightly allowance.
- When travelling between safari destinations – a pre-set meal allowance.
- In a mobile camp – meals provided in camp.
- One return travel allowance for every 6-8 weeks of Fixed Contract Employment from your home to Nairobi and/or a designated safari location as dictated by the itinerary, which will be pre-paid to you at the time of each period of travel.
Leave & ‘Off’ Days:
- In line with hospitality industry norms, you will earn 2.33 days of leave for each full month worked (equivalent to 14 days in 6 months).
- You will be entitled to one day of rest (an ‘off’ day) after every 6 consecutive days worked.
- Leave and ‘off’ days may be accumulated during busy periods of work but may be taken by you either in advance or arrears, with the permission of the Operations Manager.
- If you have any leave or ‘off’ days due to you at the end your Fixed Contract period, you will be paid for these at the calculated monthly rate for your position and salary.
- You will earn double pay for each public holiday worked