The COO’s role will be to work with the CEO, senior management and Board to inform strategy, with their primary responsibility to oversee implementation of strategy and projects into practice. This will require particular skills in project and staff management, working with division managers to ensure that broad goals are translated into timely, effective activities on the ground and that staff are clearly oriented to deliver on them.
They will have overall responsibility for staff and operations management, ensuring that all the team is pulling in the same direction and fulfilling their responsibilities according to their KPIs.
The candidate will be skilled at people management with a track record of motivating a team to deliver optimal results even on a budget, and willing to take hard decisions when results are not forthcoming. They will have excellent communication skills, comfortable assuming a leadership and authority role, and will also play a significant role in communicating the organizations vision and opportunity to outside partners.
The position calls for a highly organized and meticulous manager, who is an excellent communicator, confident and skilled in managing a team, and comfortable driving home operational disruption and change if necessary to achieve the end goal of enhanced operational impact and sustainability. They will have a track record in a previous project and people management position, preferably in a low income development or social enterprise context, with a track record attesting to their capacity to deliver business growth and programmatic success in such environments and organizations.
Reports to: CEO
Duties & responsibilities
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- Oversee daily operations of the company and directly oversee the work of division managers, ensuring that they manage their teams well and deliver activities as expected.
- Act as part of the senior management team (CEO,CFO & 2)
- Be directly responsible for HR and KPI functions, hiring, contract and performance reviews
- Track organization performance indicators by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics and communicate these clearly to the team
- Communicate to the CEO and Board all matters of importance requiring staff adaptation
- Effectively function as the HR Manager in being first point of call for all staff issues that arise.
- Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances etc.)
- Part of a senior management team managing relationships with external partners
- Representing the company in external facing forums, whether workshops, business meetings or pitches, alone or with colleagues, with the purpose of advancing our brand profile and partner / investor opportunities.
- Mentoring / training members of the team and partnership network to improve their contributions, confidence, and analytical skills
- Active input to overall organizational strategy as member of the senior leadership team.
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role
- Clear track record in project management.
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance, marketing etc.
- Experience in HR functions, KPI management
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
Experience & personal qualities
- Relevant management graduate degree.
- Experienced in project management, operations and HR
- An individual with pronounced managerial and interpersonal skills, skilled at building and maintaining relationships, with an ability to command attention and respect, and an ability to be respectful in return.
- Strategic, innovative thinker, able to identify market opportunities and linkages from scratch.
- Mature, balanced individual with strong inter-personal skills with high EQ.
- Skilled verbal and presentation communication skills, preferably in both Kiswahili and English.
- Proven ability at preparing and overseeing the preparation of communication materials and reports.
- Able to assist with donor fundraising proposals as well as corporate facing pitches.
- A passion for and knowledge of community development and social enterprise preferred (career switch candidates also welcomed).
- An ability to work independently, with initiative.
- Excellent organisational skills, flexibility and an ability to prioritise.
- Excellent written English. A bonus if brings strong skills in written (vernacular) Kiswahili
- Skilled at building and maintaining relationships, with an ability to command attention and respect, and an ability to be respectful in return.
- A team player who can work well with colleagues from different backgrounds.