Countries of coverage: Eastern Africa
Supervises: Communications Intern
With guidance from the Regional Policy and Advocacy Officer, the Communications and Knowledge Management officer will be responsible for ensuring effective programme communication and knowledge management in the Eastern Africa Region. This position forms part of organisation's Africa and Global Office teams. It entails supporting with knowledge management, communication needs and documentation of achievements, failures and lessons so as to add value, help achieve outcomes and showcase successes in a tangible and meaningful way.
Specifically, this position will:
- Lead on the coordination and implementation of the organisation Communications strategy
- Assist country offices in the Eastern Africa region to elaborate their annual national communications plans based on the projects and within the framework of the organisation's Communications Strategies
- Support communications planning in projects, initiatives, and other organisation activities, especially through advice on written (printed and electronic) communications related to the work and outputs of projects and initiatives.
- Lead efforts to capture and disseminate lessons generated from Project experience
- Support knowledge management both internal and external by collecting, handling and distributing information, knowledge, lessons and experience amongst staff and partners.
- Lead on the further development and updating of the communications strategy and country / project action plans as necessary including the identification of target audiences, key messages, strategies, activities and work plans
- Conceptualize and develop high quality technical products and communication materials in different formats including studies, press releases, advisories, factsheets, newsletters, summary report, press/media kits, and news stories toinform media, key partners, and the general public about projects and initiatives; results and successes, and other achievements
- Advise staff on appropriate communication strategies including providing advice on communications plans and media outreach, presentations, roll-out campaigns and/or launching publications and products.
- Identify the communications needs of the projects and initiatives and suggest appropriate communications tools
- Assist with all communication efforts, including the adaptation of style or format to ensure that messages achieve maximum impact.
- Be responsible for the website and social media management; use different social media platforms to create dialogue around our work as well as other topical issues
- Ensure that new information is available to all audiences in a timely and userfriendly manner
- Facilitate documentation of experiences, achievement and lessons learnt and the sharing of findings with relevant target groups, assisting in the editing of documents and the coordination of any graphics/formatting work
- Coordinate the collection and distribution of information, knowledge, lessons and experiences and support sharing of achievements and lessons learnt
- Engage with donor reporting to ensure evidence-based reporting and communication products are developed
- Through advocacy communication and marketing, develop and nurture relationships with relevant stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, International development or related field. An additional qualification in the field of conservation would be an advantage
- Minimum 3 years communications experience (preferably in the environmental sector) working with technical teams with knowledge management, communications and evidence based advocacy activities
- Sound knowledge of communication strategies, knowledge management tools, and information technology
- Strong oral communication, writing and reporting skills, with at least two years of working experience in editing and writing material;
- An interest in and commitment to environmental and conservation issues
- Proven knowledge of working effectively across a range of media platforms
- Masters degree in Communication or related fields
- Experience in graphic design, audio/visual production and web content development
- Experience with working with International NGOs, local CSOs, government, donors.
- Management/coordination: Experience working with multidisciplinary teams, particularly with international/regional agencies
- Communication and outreach: Ability to effectively present, discuss, convince and influence different levels and target groups with tailored messages
- Networking: A good network and knowledge of the media in the region; the ability to identify relevant partners and maintain existing linkages
- Impact and results orientation: Proactive approach within and outside the organization to generate concrete results on an output level and to seek opportunities to transform output to outcome and impact
- Social/team skills: Ability to work effectively and smoothly across teams with intercultural sensitivity and contribute to establishing commitment among group members
- Flexibility/innovation: Displays a continuous learning attitude; stays abreast with changing approaches and technologies; encourages others to come up with new ideas; actively supports a continuous learning culture
- Computer and internet literacy: Experience with word, excel, internet and Email packages, publishing software, geographic information systems, and website management
- Language skills: Demonstrated ability to speak and write professionally, fluently, and grammatically correct in English; knowledge of other regional languages highly desirable