Our company is a registered company pursuing a scalable and financially self-sustaining model for creating a network of standard-setting, independent preschool daycares in the slums of Nairobi. We work with individual entrepreneurs to upgrade their businesses and ensure that they provide affordable, safe and stimulating daycare services while enjoying growing profits from their business.
After several years of pilot testing our intervention model, Tiny Totos is currently in scale up mode, having secured multi year financing over the next three years. It is urgent as we gear up to tripling our daycare network and creating and refining management and operations systems that we ramp up our communications capacity, and produce a range of communication materials and initiatives that strengthen understanding and opportunity across our client community materials.
The CMO’s role will be to work with the CEO and other staff to implement the communication and media strategies of the organization. They will produce communication materials, written and soft copy, that can help reflect, reinforce and support our operations and work in the field. They will also play a significant role in communicating the Tiny Totos vision and opportunity to outside partners.
The position calls for a highly skilled writer, with a track record of grassroots communication skills. As the primary audience for their work will be women in the lower-income settlements of Nairobi, they will need to demonstrate experience in producing materials designed to inform and inspire this particular demographic. They will have a track record in a previous communications position, where they will have proven their ability to produce timely, high quality materials under minimal amount of supervision. Communication students interested in pursuing this as a part time job are encouraged to apply.
Job Description: CMO
Location: Our Westlands office, partner daycares and wherever else may be required
Reports to: CEO
Duties & responsibilities
· Support stakeholder communications activity by leading the production of communication materials, including brochures, text and longer surveys, website, e-newsletters, presentations, proposals and other relevant strategic communication materials internally and externally
· Lead on the co-ordination and management of all marketing and promotional materials. This includes overseeing design and copywriting, plus editorial support, to ensure key messages and a consistent brand image is adhered to
· Ensure that our stakeholder audiences clearly understand who we are, what we do, and how they can get involved
· Co-ordinate all public relations and media activity on behalf of our, including; identifying strategic PR and media opportunities, responding to media inquiries, writing and distributing media releases and op-eds, at all times representing our in line with our vision and mission
· Ensure that our events and activities are appropriately promoted on social media and other relevant channels to enable increased awareness and engagement
· Liaise with and relevant stakeholders to ensure a strong brand profile. Review, update and communicate brand guidelines to enable our organization to represent our brand effectively
· Producing written / printed materials for our key stakeholders – parents, daycare managers, partners – describing our work, their work, the opportunity of partnering with our, products and other value-added materials, training handouts, meeting materials – all range of documents that support and explain our work.
· Writing daily text communications to our network, producing phone-based texts and surveys
· Maintaining / updating online education and network content on our phone-based app
· Updating our website and FB copy, as well as all social media content
· Developing and reinforcing brand identity across the network – both in daycares and content produced by network members.
· Ensuring all staff have standardized email signatures, business cards etc.
· Liaising with local media to ensure accurate representation of ourselves, in conjunction with other staff members
· Representing us in external facing forums, whether workshops, business meetings or pitches, alone or with colleagues, with the purpose of advancing our brand profile and partner / investor opportunities.
· Mentoring / training members of the team and partnership network to improve communications capacity and integrity
· Contribute creative ideas for improving our storytelling and communications strategy
Experience & personal qualities
· Degree in English, communications, journalism, social sciences or equivalent, from a recognized university. Undergraduate/ Post- graduate communication students interested in pursuing this as a part time job are encouraged to apply.
· Three to five years’ experience in communications, media relations, public relations or related field
· Demonstrated experience creating and implementing successful communications plans
· Understanding of stakeholder relations and engagement at the BoP in particular
· Experience in brand building, required
· Demonstrated experience with digital and print communications
· Knowledge of web content management
· Excellent writing and editing skills
· Understanding of the value of thought leadership
· Takes initiative and creativity to identify solutions, leverage opportunities and tackle challenges
· Confident, with a positive attitude
· Works both independently and as part of a larger team
· Superior multi-tasker, able to work quickly and effectively
· Working knowledge and understanding of the value of storytelling in print, digital and social media channels
· An individual with pronounced managerial and interpersonal skills, skilled at building and maintaining relationships, with an ability to command attention and respect, and an ability to be respectful in return.
· Strategic, innovative thinker, able to identify market opportunities and linkages from scratch.
· Mature, balanced individual with strong inter-personal skills with high EQ.
· Skilled verbal and presentation communication skills in both Kiswahili and English.
· Proven ability at preparing and overseeing the preparation of communication materials and reports.
· Able to assist with donor fundraising proposals as well as corporate facing pitches.
· A passion for and knowledge of community development and social enterprise preferred (career switch candidates welcomed).
· An ability to work independently, with initiative.
· Excellent organisational skills, flexibility and an ability to prioritise.
· Excellent written English.
· Strong communication skills in both Kiswahili and English.
· Skilled at building and maintaining relationships, with an ability to command attention and respect, and an ability to be respectful in return.
· A team player who can work well with colleagues from different backgrounds.
Negotiable depending on experience