TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
CONSULTANCY TO DEVELOP TRAINING CURRICULUM FOR ACCELERATOR COHORT SMALL AND MICRO ENTERPRISES
Name of the Project: Kenya Micro Enterprise Success Programme (KMESP).
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered NGO in Kenya with a mandate to work in Eastern Africa and is part of Hand in Hand Global Network. The Organization started operations in Kenya in October 2010 and rolled out her outreach and promotion in April 2011. Currently, HiH EA is operating in 21 Field offices within 26 out of 47 Counties. HiH EA has so far mobilized, trained and is training over 100,575 members (80% women, 40% youth) who have created 297,192 enterprises (30% eco-enterprises) and 401,178 jobs in the Kenyan programme.
The organization strives to work with the marginalized communities in the areas of economic and social empowerment using a participatory approach aimed at helping people fight poverty and vulnerability. The HiH EA enterprise and job creation approach is based on a philosophy of self-help, providing training, skills and support to enable people living in poverty, particularly women, to build and sustain independent, market- based, economic activities. This provides for a higher level of income for them and their families, which in turn contributes to greater food security, better education for children, increased access to healthcare, improved housing and overall improved livelihoods.
Hand in Hand EA (HiH EA) is implementing a 3-year program dubbed - Kenya Micro Enterprise Success Programme (KMES). The programme aims to increase skills of business owners and scale productivity of micro enterprises they own in Nairobi and its environs through training, coaching and linkage to finance. To kick start the programme, HiH EA would like to develop a responsive multi-layered basic curriculum for business skills training that will be tested and validated during the phase one of the programme.
The curriculum will be delivered to HiH EA accelerator cohort. The accelerator cohort comprises of SMEs already in operation for at least one year and are owned by entrepreneurs who have gone through HiH EA’s primary enterprise development intervention. The acceleration curriculum focuses on scaling of existing businesses, and may include product development, investment, financial access and quality, and
additionally other entrepreneurial skills that can enable members scale their businesses across different sectors.
The curriculum is expected to cover core modules on how to scale and digitize one’s business as well as financial literacy that are crucial to increase competitiveness. In view of this, HiH EA is looking for a highly qualified curriculum development consultant to develop a training curriculum for the SMEs, assessment tools to evaluate the impact of the modules and a training curriculum for business development officers who will deliver the curriculum. Further, the consultants will develop guidelines for mentorship along with the training modules.
2. Overall Objective of the Consultancy
The overall objective of the assignment is to develop training materials and curriculum which shall be used to train the entrepreneurs in a bid to scale their businesses to the next level. The curriculum will be tailored based on the local context by reviewing the existing similar curriculum/training materials with a focus of improving the spirit of entrepreneurship for trainees. The materials will incorporate innovative approaches based on the assessment and recommendations drawn from relevant stakeholders consulted within the various stages of developing the curriculum.
5. Scope of Work
The Curriculum Development Consultant will work closely with HiH EA in completing the following tasks:
• Conduct a needs assessment in consultation with the key stakeholders to identify/fine-tune their training needs.
• Review previous reports and studies on business development support to streamline the curriculum development process.
• Review existing training curriculum and materials from other training providers.
• Develop an integrated curriculum for HiH EA accelerator cohort that will equip the micro enterprises with technical knowhow on growing their businesses.
• Develop modular assessment tools to evaluate the relevance and effectiveness of the modules on the SMEs.
• Develop a training guideline for business development officers who will deliver the curriculum.
• Develop guidelines for mentorship network (follow-up and support) by HiH EA selected mentors. This will be established business owners who will be willing to backstop the micro enterprise owners.
• Make recommendations about how best to deliver the curriculum including; recommendations about the most effective training strategies, methodologies and tools; possible partnerships etc.
4. Key deliverables
• Inception report.
• Needs assessment report, including an inventory of existing curriculum and training materials.
• Draft curriculum for the accelerator cohort, and a power point presentation on the same.
• Training guidelines for Business Development Officers (BDOs) who will deliver the curriculum.
• Mentorship guideline for business mentors in-line with curriculum.
• Final approved soft copy curriculum and manuals with the client’s comments incorporated after presentation and discussion.
5. Submission of proposals
Consultants are invited to submit proposals, comprising of a technical proposal, financial proposal with clear cost projection, methodology plan, work plan and CVs for the suggested work team. Deadline for submission of proposals is Thursday 16th January 2020 at 2359hrs. These should be submitted via email to the following email: email@example.com.
For more information about HiH EA, please visit www.handinhand-ea.org