Cereal Growers Association (CGA) a national farmer membership based organization in partnership with Fert (a French non- governmental organization supported by French farmer organizations, have partnered to strengthen the cereal value chain, initially in 5 counties Kenya. This will involve the formation of a Cereal County platform (or where one exists, strengthening it). The platform will be utilized to improve services to our members in close partnership with the respective County Governments given that agriculture is now a devolved function.
The focus of these interventions will be to: Improve Cereal farmers’ Incomes and Livelihoods while at the same time strengthening CGA as an apex farmers’ organization. This will be done through promotion of market-led production, enhancing access to structured markets and strengthening CGA’s strategy at the county and national level. CGA therefore seeks to engage exceptional performers to fill the two (2) positions of County Value Chain Coordinator to spearhead the above activity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The County Value Chain Coordinator will perform the following responsibilities:
- To profile farmer groups and create a farmer database at the county
- To facilitate networking opportunities for key actors in the selected counties including county government, input suppliers and output market players.
- To facilitate the training of small-scale farmers at the group level on post-harvest management, organizational development, good agronomic practices, financial literacy and marketing.
- To lead in the planning and execution of CGA’s strategy at the county level.
- To coordinate communication between county stakeholders and the CGA head office. vi. To prepare and submit regular progress reports.
Relevant experience and skills:
- Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Project Management or a related field.
- Three (3) years’ commercial or farmer training / extension experience in the cereal value chain development.
- Experience in designing and/or implementing value chain development interventions in the cereal sector.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and proven ability to lead multi stakeholder forums.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Work Station: This position is based either in Meru or Laikipia County.
Duration: Two (2) years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon satisfactory performance and continued funding.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email contacts) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience before or on March 25, 2019. The position title and desired county should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
Cereal Growers Association (www.cga.co.ke) is an equal opportunity employer.