Our client is a leading ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy provider to off grid homes. The organisation partners with leading technology and distribution companies operating across Africa, including Safaricom, Vodacom and Microsoft who share their commitment to transforming lives through innovation and enterprise.
The organisation sells directly to its customers through a network of 100 service centres and over 1,500 agents spanning Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. They’ve invested in an industry-leading 24/7 customer care operation.
Position Title: Credit Manager - Uganda
Position Start: ASAP
Contract: Full-time employee
Reporting to: MD - Uganda
The role of the Uganda Credit Manager is to coordinate with a dedicated team the activities that support the on-boarding processes, subsequent management of collections efforts and ultimately the bad debt results for the business, in order to optimise bad debt. The role will include close coordination with the Sales and Customer Care teams to help balance both short and long-term needs, in conjunction with Group Credit functions to allow free flow of ideas.
- Accountability for optimization of Bad Debt and collections in M- KOPA Uganda through the design and implementation of Uganda collections strategy.
- Develop and maintain processes, policies, and interventions to optimize credit quality of new customers, including credit underwriting, screening, and selection and onboarding practices, in conjunction with the group Credit Policies.
- Develop and maintain processes, policies, and interventions for maintaining strong repayment rates among our existing customers, including improving collections practices, behavioral analysis, portfolio evaluation, and cost-effective post -sales servicing
- Manage weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting to key stakeholders including senior management, the board of directors and investors
- Design and implement experiments/initiatives geared towards improving and maintaining a healthy credit performance across the portfolio.
- Collaborate with the Data/Tech Team to improve data accuracy and reliability for reporting
- Combine portfolio analytics with ground truth verification to give the business both the ‘what’, but also ‘why’ behind observed changes.
- Be a key member of the Customer Experience Team and contribute towards understanding why credit metrics are behaving the way they are and assist/lead in developing interventions that will improve customers desire to purchase credits from the organisation
- Contribute towards country product decisions from a Credit perspective
- Regularly engage with the Director Credit to ensure alignment across countries and sharing of ideas/thinking
The organisation is backed by leading growth-stage investors including:
- The CDC group - UK’s development Finance Institution that has invested in 1,245 businesses throughout Africa and South Asia. They were founded in 1948, making them the world's oldest DFI.
- Generation Investment Management LLP (GIM) - A London-based investment management firm with over $10bn assets under management and an investment style that focuses on both commercial and sustainability factors. Generation was founded in 2004 by former US Vice President Al Gore and former Goldman Sachs Asset Management CEO David Blood.
- Stanbic Bank – One of the leading financial services organizations that aims to be the leading corporate and investment banking business in, for and across Africa.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, computer science, economics, engineering, mathematics, statistics, or an equivalent, Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in an analytical role in consumer credit, microfinance, asset finance, insurance, or pricing analytics, preferably at a financial institution in East Africa
- Understanding of credit underwriting best practices; ability to evaluate portfolio performance
- Understanding of ROI calculations and discounted cash flow analysis
- Knowledge and working experience in SQL, Relational Databases, R, and Python preferred
- Knowledge and working experience in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft products required
- Experience in creating, analyzing and succinctly communicating data and recommendations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including fluidity in PowerPoint
- Experience in design of pilots
- Ability to engage in white space thinking and influence new innovative ideas
IMPORTANT SELECTION CRITERIA
- Knowledge & Skills
- Credit analytics
- Portfolio management
- SQL, R, STATA (technical skills)
- Consumer finance / retail credit (NOT credit operations / corporate credit / small business lending)
- Experience in FinTech’s or respected banks or data analytics companies
- HQ role preferred if at banks or MFIs, not regional or city offices
- Must have studied at recognized universities. Those who have studied abroad at top US or European universities at an added advantage
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview.
Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion. This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.