GreenMax Capital Advisors is a specialized provider of policy, financial, project development, program design and management advisory services exclusively in the clean energy sector. We have a 24-year track record and have completed assignments in more than 80 different countries around the world. GreenMax advises governments, private investors, project developers, donor agencies and international financial institutions on strategies to increase implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency. Today our main geographic focus is on emerging markets in Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe.
GreenMax is known as one of the premier clean energy finance advisors serving Africa.
Our Transaction Advisory Group, currently serves as strategic and financial advisors to more than 20 private developers of both on grid and off grid clean energy projects. Our clients include developers of geothermal, solar, wind, biomass, natural gas and small hydro projects at utility scale and PAYG solar home system platforms, mini grid and distributed generation developers in the off grid space.
Our Consulting Group supports donors, DFIs and Governments in pursuing renewable energy goals. Among our current major consulting engagements we are conducting a market assessment to support the design and launch of the World Bank-ECREEE Regional Off Grid Electricity Program in 19 West Africa countries and providing an interdisciplinary scope of market surveys, GIS mapping, legal and regulatory, financial and tax advisory for development of a portfolio of more than 100 rural micro-grids in Zambia.
Our Fund Management Group is launching two innovative financing initiatives: 1) The GreenStreet Africa Blended Finance Vehicle to organize private placement bond financings of large portfolios of publicly owned distributed generation assets. Our pilot project with Rural Electrification Fund in Nigeria encompasses installation of solar/storage power generation at 100 public education facilities. 2) The Green4Acess Fund (G4A), a first loss reserve facility to enable scale up of debt financing for off grid energy projects in Africa. G4A is a partnership with the UK based NGO, Energy4Impact and has received seed funding from the Partnerships for Green Growth (P4G) program.
GreenMax is currently seeking to hire a Deputy Director to help manage our Energy Access business activities in Africa.
Requirements for this position are:
- At least 5 years of experience in the Energy Access sector, preferably with direct experience analyzing financial and commercial viability of off grid energy strategies and enterprises.
- At least 2 years of experience working in Sub Saharan Africa
- At least one example of having participated as lead analyst in creating the financial and or business model strategy for an off grid energy enterprise in Africa.
- At least one example of having played a leading role in the capital raise for an off grid energy enterprise in Africa.
- Strong communication, business development and negotiation skills
- Ability to write extremely well in English
- French or Portuguese language skills would be a plus.
- University Degree in a related field (Finance, Renewable Energy, Sustainability etc)
The responsibilities for this position are to provide general management and supervision for GreenMax’s Energy Access Africa practice as delineated below:
1. Business development for GreenMax’s Africa Energy Access practice
- Network with off grid energy enterprises throughout Africa;
- Prepare proposals to secure new transaction advisory mandates
- Negotiate transaction advisory mandate agreements
- Network with donors, DFIs and major consulting firms in the energy access space;
- Contribute to preparation of proposals to secure new consulting assignments
2. Execution of work for energy access TA clients, including
- project summary presentations and investment memorandums;
- support documents to promote investment opportunities to financiers and international donors;
- negotiation of equity and debt financing arrangements for client projects
- proposals for grant funding to support the company’s energy access clients in Africa – this includes preparation of detailed Terms of Reference for technical, financial and legal consulting services that will be supported with the grant funding;
3. Execution of work for energy access consulting clients, including
- Manage teams for market research, regulatory research, financial modeling etc. as needed
The position will be full time and may be based in our offices in Nairobi or Lagos.
Substantial travel is anticipated throughout Africa.
Send CV, short writing sample and recent compensation history. Applications submitted without compensation history will not be considered. No phone calls, no recruiters please.