REF: MMU/RIE/05/2019 – DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR RESEARCH, INNOVATION
AND EXTENSION – GRADE 17 (1 POST)
Job Specifications/ Requirements
For appointment to this position an applicant must:
(i) Have an earned PhD;
(ii) Be a Professor or an Associate Professor or an Associate Research Professor/Fellow and be well published and an academic leader in his/her area of specialization;
(iii) Have at least eight (8) years progressive experience in University leadership/management positions or its equivalent;
(iv) Be a recognized scholar as evidenced by referred journals, publications, University education level books as well as project grants and awards;
(v) Have demonstrated competence in Research and Innovations for at least six (6) years;
(vi) Have excellent understanding and broad awareness of the current trends and developments in University education and training in Kenya and globally
(vii) Be of the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism and comply with the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution.
(viii) Have proven capacity in crafting and managing sustainable academic linkage/collaboration programs with reputable academic institutions.
(ix) Have proven ability to attract and effectively manage research funding to make Maasai
Mara University the first among equals.
(x) Demonstrate highly developed ability to diversify and enrich student’s life and activities
to mould proactive community of students to participate fully in national development.
(xi) Meet requirements of Chapter six of the Constitution.
(i) Ability to portray and uphold positive national image and work in a multi- cultural and multi- ethnic environment with sensitivity to and respect to diversity.
(ii) Be a visionary and result oriented thinker.
(iii) Have the capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
(iv) Have firm, fair and transparent management style.
(v) Have demonstrable communication and interpersonal skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research, Innovation and Extension) as the in-charge of Research,
Innovation and Extension of the University shall:
• Head and provide leadership in the Division;
• Co-ordination of Research, Innovation and Extension;
• Set the University research agenda in line with the Strategic Plan and Vision 2030;
• Fundraise for the University innovations;
• Plan and source for research funds;
• Negotiate and manage research contracts and consultancies;
• Attract, retain and develop the best Human Resource in Research;
• Increase trust in academically led environment (intellectual property rights);
• Provide integrated approach to enterprise that promotes creativity, innovation and impact to the University and community;
• Create, build and enhance strategic partnerships and collaborations;
• Provide integrated support to schools for inter activities such as students partnership, joint research and innovation;
• Increase international reach by ensuring the impact of education, research and alumni community as international event;
• Support commercialization of innovations from the University;
• Initiate and develop Research Centres and Institutes;
• Promote cultural diversity;
• Promote community service and outreach;
• Ensure that the University Senate is properly advised in Research, Innovation and Extension matters in conformity to national and international standards and legally recognized profession bodies;
• Carry out such other duties and responsibilities as may be delegated by the Vice-Chancellor.
Terms & Conditions of Service
Successful candidates will be offered a competitive remuneration package, including house allowance and other benefits in accordance with the Kenya Government public service guidelines.
The appointment for Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research Innovation & Extension) will be for a contractual period of five (5) years renewable for a further period of five (5) years subject to satisfactory performance while that of Deputy Finance Officer, Senior Accountant, Accountant I, Senior Internal Auditor, Senior Internal Audit Assistant II, Executive Secretary II and Senior Secretary I will be on Permanent and Pensionable terms.
How to Apply?
Please login to see application instructions.