Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Lagos, Nigeria; Nairobi, Kenya; Johannesburg, South Africa
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in Sub-Saharan African government, politics, or public advocacy in addition to relationships with Sub-Saharan African institutions and policy-makers.
- Experience leading a team in a geographically dispersed region.
- Operational leadership and management experience
- Regional experience in South Africa, Nigeria or Kenya.
- Experience with technology and an understanding of challenges in the technology industry.
- Executive presence and leadership style that combines the ability to project a sense of gravitas with an informal style appropriate to Google's culture.
- Understanding of changes in competitors, clients, and market segments that have the potential to affect Google's business.
- Reputation and stature to represent Google on the global stage, coupled with a practical, egalitarian, team-oriented focus.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions in Google. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google externally, and bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You're passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs & Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and relevant third parties in the formation and execution of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues of importance to Google, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business and technology.
- Partner with Google leadership to agree upon and drive Google’s evolving policy priorities.
- Manage company positioning on key interests and issues – working in partnership with leadership and key stakeholder groups.
- Establish, build, and maintain relationships with allies to shape public discourse.
- Regularly conduct vulnerability assessments and track potential threats. Develop plans to address the most pressing potential scenarios and lead response efforts.
- Develop and coordinate campaigns across public policy, communications, marketing, sales, and product teams.