REPORTS TO: President, Davis College
DEPARTMENT: Student Recruitment
STATUS: Full time
LOCATION: Kigali, Rwanda
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Are you ready to revolutionize global education? We’re on a mission to provide transformational, personalized learning experiences that prepare students for professional success in the 21st century.
Over the past ten years, the Akilah Institute has become East Africa’s pre-eminent institution for women’s leadership and career development. Now, after a decade of impact in Rwanda, we are launching Davis College, a new global co-ed network of universities. We’re expanding access to more students than ever, and will offer degrees to male and female students. We have an ambitious vision for scale of our unique model of personalized and affordable higher education, while maintaining Akilah as a unique campus for female leaders.
Davis College Rwanda and Davis College Hong Kong will open in 2020. By 2030, we will create a global network of 10 Davis College campuses in Asia and Africa and educate 1 million students in online and face to face environments over the next ten years.
Our pillars (21st-century skills, personalized learning, innovation, ethical leadership, and sustainability) underpin all of our academic programs and serve as our guiding light during this phase of rapid expansion. We’re committed to equipping students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in careers in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
The Director of Recruitment & Admissions (DRA) will report directly to the President of Davis College to lead a rigorous, effective and efficient annual Recruitment and Admissions process for a growing annual enrollment across 2 campuses reaching nearly 2,500 by year 2024. The DRA will be charged with developing and executing the department’s strategy in alignment with institutional growth and brand goals. S/he will manage two growing teams: one consisting of recruitment staff, and the other admissions staff with some overlap therein. S/he will also work with the Business Operations and Data Teams to ensure that data collection and analysis procedures are robust, and that these analytical tools directly and continuously inform the department’s strategy.
Leadership & Management
- Inspire the R&A department to be high performers and achieve huge annual goals;
- Manage all staff members working in R&A department, inclusive of performance reviews;
- Lead the development, monitoring and evaluation of departmental and individual OKRs & staff workplans;
- Proactively seek professional development opportunities for staff in collaboration with HR team;
- Assume primary responsibility for the admissions and recruitment budgets to include all purchases, travel, printing and promotional expense; and
- Drive robust team usage of all Davis College systems, including Salesforce, Asana and Slack.
- Develop the annual recruitment and marketing strategy, in collaboration with Chief Growth, Academic, Admissions & Marketing Officers;
- Serve as Lead Recruiter, ensuring that the entire recruitment staff, and all staff on campus, deploy approved marketing strategies and communication;
- Identify new strategic partners and expertly manage relationships to achieve long-term enrollment and brand goals;
- Develop the annual admissions strategy and review related processes;
- Collaborate with the President and Director of Finance on annual updates to tuition schedules;
- Serve as Lead Admissions Officer for Rwanda campuses, ensuring that processes are strategic, efficient and achieved, leveraging existing systems and data to the fullest extent possible;
- Coordinate and monitor the application flow, acceptance rate, deposits, and withdrawal rate throughout the admission cycle and provide regular updates to Davis College leadership
- Conduct final interviews for each accepted candidate; defend criteria and targets;
- Coordinate all follow-up correspondence to admitted students in relation to their status
- Lead annual process of revising Admissions assessments; and
- Lead annual process of allocating tuition assistance funds with partners across program and campus cohorts.
Strategic Knowledge Management
- Work in collaboration with the Business Operations and Data Teams to develop data collection tools for analysis and record keeping;
- Impeccably track and collect data in relevant systems;
- Train and lead staff to accurately and efficiently collect and store data.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in recruitment or admissions in higher education, with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role
- English fluency (written and oral) required
- Prior experience with SalesForce a plus
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS (Our ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following skills and qualifications):
- You are a born leader and salesperson;
- You have the skills and proven experience to expertly manage and build a growing recruitment and admissions team and annual processes;
- You have demonstrated experience developing, refining, and articulating data and analytics around admissions and enrollment to multiple audiences;
- You have advanced analytical and creative skills for using both quantitative and qualitative data across a broad array of metrics to develop strategic recruitment and admissions approaches to identify students who will succeed academically and socially on campus;
- You can demonstrate facility with technology to support enrollment initiatives, including: student information systems, social media, customer relationship management (Sales Force), and predictive modeling;
- You are deeply committed to access and affordability and to increasing socioeconomic and other kinds of diversity;
- You have a thorough understanding of the legal landscape relating to college admissions policies and procedures and the collection and retention of student data;
- You love taking ideas and running with them. You can draw the owl and complete projects without an exact roadmap for how to get them done.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity; you can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- You are relentlessly resourceful and refuse to be slowed down by anything in your way.
- You push to get access to the resources you need, can contribute unsustainable effort when the situation calls for it, and be creative in finding ways to remove blocks.
- You are exceptionally motivated by the idea of building a global community of lifelong learners. You can lead by example and be ready to do whatever it takes to ensure success.
- This is not a 9-to-5 position and we are not a 9-to-5 company. We pride ourselves on our agile working culture. No day is the same but you see change as an opportunity to flourish and grow.
- You are extraordinarily resilient, positive, and proactive.
- You are an enthusiastic proponent and impeccable user of all systems available to you to continually drive improvements in operational efficiency.
- You are skilled at moving quickly, prioritizing critical tasks with grace and tenacious follow up in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You approach your work with a commitment to building a positive organizational culture that values continuous learning, excellence, transparency, honest feedback, perseverance, and sense of humor.
- You listen to constructive feedback, aim for improvement, and give yourself room to feel satisfied with what you’ve accomplished.