Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Position Purpose & Summary
This position is responsible for applying general understanding of Environment, Health and Safety practices and standards across a location with moderate EHS complexity. Provides location leadership and direction in the following areas of focus: development and implementation of EHS strategy, maintenance and continuous improvement of EHS results, shaping of the internal EHS culture, management of the external EHS brand and leadership of talent management practices.
Accountability Category #1: DEVELOP EHS STRATEGY
· Assesses location Environment, Health and Safety risks and opportunities using general understanding of Environment, Health and Safety issues (including current and short-term future regulatory requirements) and potential impacts on a location with moderate EHS complexity, stakeholder (customer, community, interest groups, employees) priorities, and location strategy.
· Leads the execution and administration of Corporate and Business Environment, Health and Safety strategy and tactics to manage risk and generate value across a location with moderate EHS complexity. Leads the development of location EHS safety strategy and tactics to manage EHS risk and generate business value.
· Uses general understanding of Environment, Health and Safety matters, Business and location objectives and location stakeholders, to assure that tactics can achieve compliance with legal requirements, position the location for cost-effective compliance with anticipated regulation, address expectations of key stakeholders, and support innovation that can generate business value.
· Leads efforts to achieve internal approval and support of the EHS strategy at a location leadership level for a location with moderate EHS complexity.
· Leads location efforts to ensure deep understanding and achieve support of the approved EHS strategy, or relevant parts of the approved EHS strategy, from internal and external partners and stakeholders.
· Internally, this may include educating and leading or contributing to collaboration with other functions.
· Externally, this may include leading efforts to educate and to negotiate key approvals or permits with regulating bodies, develop support among key stakeholders including community or activist groups, customers, unions, and the media community, and work with external consultants.
Accountability Category #2: IMPLEMENT EHS STRATEGY
· Under direction of EHS Leader, leads development of location programs and processes to execute corporate, Business and location EHS strategy in a manner appropriate to the technology, scope and maturity of the location. Leads execution of organization and Business EHS programs and processes for a location with moderate EHS complexity.
· Benchmarks internally and externally to identify best practices of others that can be applied effectively across a location with moderate EHS complexity, consistent with and in support of the EHS strategy.
· Collaborates with internal partners across a location with moderate EHS complexity to insert elements of EHS strategy into processes, programs, and work of others, as appropriate to enable EHS strategy and support partner goals (e.g., Key Result Areas for location personnel management, Management of Change processes, etc.).
Accountability Category #3: MAINTAIN AND CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE EHS RESULTS
· Under guidance of Business EHS, provides leadership to Environment, Health and Safety audit, inspection and risk assessment processes in a location with moderate EHS complexity and risk.
· Adopts auditing standards and expands as appropriate for the location. Reviews and analyzes audit results to confirm that the corporate, business and government standards on Environment, Health and Safety are met.
· At a location level, identifies trends, isolates root causes and leads process to ensure that appropriate follow-up actions are being implemented.
· Directly reports EHS performance results and advises on corresponding action to the Leadership Team for a location with moderate EHS risk and complexity. Through existing systems, ensures location measures and data are accurate and entered according to corporate and Business EHS standards.
· Monitors and anticipates change in the external environment, including regulations, science, and stakeholder positioning. Assesses applicability to a location with moderate EHS risk and provides recommendation on strategy as appropriate.
Accountability Category #4: SHAPE INTERNAL EHS CULTURE
· Builds effective working relationships with key leaders across a location with moderate EHS complexity in order to obtain/sustain a strong Environment, Health and Safety culture.
· Leads development of internal communications strategy for key audiences that builds and maintains awareness of Environment, Health and Safety values, strategies, and performance; shares best practices and key learnings; develops talent; and recognizes high performance across a location with moderate EHS complexity.
· Supports leaders for a location with moderate EHS complexity to promote proactive workplace Environment, Health and Safety practices. Provides general technical, regulatory, behavioral and strategic understanding and consultation that locations requires to build a strong Environment, Health and Safety culture.
· Collaborates with internal experts to share best practices, identify leading approaches on Environment, Health and Safety topics and facilitate a culture of continuous improvement.
Develops, directs and oversees implementation of recognition
programs to acknowledge positive behavior and celebrate successes on topics of
Environment, Health and Safety for a location with moderate EHS complexity.
Accountability Category #5: MANAGE EHS BRAND
· May play a leadership role in external EHS professional business and industry organizations in location of operations. Shares best practices and represents location on behalf of the organization.
· Leads engagement on Environment, Health and Safety topics with external stakeholders in location of operations. Guides Location Leaders on specific customer and community concerns related to Environment, Health and Safety topics across the location with moderate EHS complexity.
· Equips Location Leaders with the information and tools they need to accurately represent Cargill on Environment, Health and Safety topics.
· Consults with internal sales and commercial teams as well as external organizations to stay informed of external Environment, Health and Safety matters facing the community and customers of the location. Provides leadership in a location with moderate EHS complexity to meet and exceed the expectations, values and priorities of community, customers, consumers and NGO’s.
· Bachelor’s degree
· NEBOSH qualification
· Five years’ experience as an EHS lead in a manufacturing or processing site
· Knowledge of Ms Office applications particularly Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word and Windows applications.
Interested? Then make sure to send us your CV and cover letter in English today.