One Year Contract Renewable
• Identify programmes and partners for support which will contribute to the achievement of the Embassy Business Plan and that are aligned to A Better World, International Development Policy (including key sector and thematic areas of focus: agriculture, gender, education, climate action, governance and economic development);
• Support implementation of the Kenya Agri-food Strategy (IKAFS) and specific programmes under three value chains including regular liaison with implementing NGOs, reviewing budgets and workplans, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of impact;
• Support the Head of Cooperation in ensuring the successful roll-out of the innovation initiative including liaison with stakeholders and sponsors, communications and media outreach, and documentation;
• Provide technical inputs and support monitoring of development and humanitarian activities in the countries of accreditation – Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Eritrea, including coordination with NGO and UN partners, the EU and other Missions and Missionaries and the relevant line Ministries within these countries;
• Work closely with the Embassy’s staff to support the implementation of the Catalytic Fund for agribusinesses, including reporting and documentation;
• Organize and participate in field visits to monitor programmes and contribute to performance management monitoring. Travel outside of Kenya as required;
• Contribute to the planning/delivery of Ministerial and other high level visits to Kenya which include a focus on development and humanitarian programmes;
• Support administration of the Embassy’s micro-projects fund including an appraisal of applications, disbursement of funding, monitoring and reporting on results;
• Support the Embassy’s Fellowships scholarship programme including administering the application and the selection process, appraisal of applications and liaison with HQ;
• Contribute to the Mission’s reporting requirements and Mission Strategy in relation to development and humanitarian context and achievements;
• Support Embassy communications on development and humanitarian activities, including via social media.
Key skills and competencies required
• Postgraduate education in international development/public policy or a related field;
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ demonstrated experience working in international development, preferably with an NGO or public sector institution; ideally with expertise in agriculture, gender, education, climate action, governance and/or economic development;
• Experience and recognition of the importance of instituting and maintaining good management systems;
• Understanding of the complexities of international cooperation in Kenya and the countries of accreditation (Somalia, Sudan, and Eritrea);
• Excellent communication, writing and reporting skills;
• Strong networking and advocacy skills, including the ability to build rapport and engage effectively with individuals and organizations from a diversity of backgrounds and contexts;
• Flexibility and good team working;
• Self-motivation and a capacity for creative thinking.
Salary and conditions
Commensurate based on skills and experience.
The candidate will be employed on a (renewable) one year contract, with an initial probationary period for 6 months.
Deadline: 30th August 2019