Reports to: General Manager
Job Grade: Management
Direct Reports: Sous
- Departmental Staff
- Food Authorities
The Executive Chef is responsible for all the kitchen
operations within the club,
This includes but not limited to:
- All kitchen staff
- All food purchases
- All food production
- All food service,
- All hygiene matters relating to the kitchen operation
- All legal matters relating to the kitchen operations
- Training of kitchen staff and front of house in regards to
food, food production, hygiene
- Achieving targeted food cost as set by the Club
- Maintain budgets set by the club
- Liaising with the General Manager, accounts, human resource
and food and beverage manager
- Creating a 5 star food experience with the budget
- Ensure operating equipment is maintained and in a
The Executive chef is expected to produce dishes, specials
and menus and cook for selected clients
Key Measures of Performance
The performance of this role holder will be assessed on the
basis of the achievements made on:
- Food and staffing cost budgets
- Innovation and Creative initiatives
- Effective cost management of water, gas and electricity
- Team leadership and staff retention rate
- Create a strong kitchen team that can operate to a high
standard regardless of the time of week and work load
- Ensure efficient food dispensing, service and presentation
is provided in order to meet and exceed guest expectation.
- Maintain optimum operating equipment stock levels and
provide staff with quality working tools.
- Ensure costs and quality are controlled to departmental
- Manage the operations in a manner that meets the clubs
environmental and waste management procedures.
- Maintain a food cost of XX%
- Responsible for the ordering & receiving of all food
items and inspecting the quality and price.
- Once a quarter conduct a market serves report and present
findings to the boards
- Once a quarter be present in committee meeting.
- Once a quarter organize and conduct tasting sessions for the
waiting staff and refresh on menu items
- Responsible for the operating equipment and hygiene of all
kitchens with the club. Including staff canteen.
- Perform various cooking activities from time to time and
especially for special occasions
- Frequently review finished products for quality and
presentation before the orders are send to guest.
- Conduct twice-daily briefings covering areas of operation
and food costs with the staff.
- Conduct a weekly meeting with management team.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are
completed according to the clubs operational Standard and Management Policy.
- Maintain a conducive working environment for the kitchen
staff so as to provide food service to guest and staff satisfaction.
- Organize the kitchen staff and supervise them while working.
- Train the kitchen staff to meet the set policies, procedures
- Maintain effective communications with all team members
within the department to maintain a smooth, informed and consistent atmosphere.
- Ensure continuous improvement of the efficiency and
effectiveness of the team as well as provide individuals with professional and
personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality,
presentation and service levels.
- Actively responds to and handles guest problems and
- Give support to the General Manager by ensuring high level
of performance within the team, sound professional advice and support of
desired Muthaiga Golf Club culture.
- Communicate effectively and have management responsibility
for all kitchen staff.
- Ensure performance appraisals of the team is done at no
greater than annual intervals.
- Carry out inductions for new staff.
- Comply with company policies, rules and procedures at all
- Prepare comprehensive annual budgets for approval.
- Ensure compliance with approved budgets including prudent
and timely spending.
- Ensure highest standards of operational efficiency and
quality of service.
- Ensure timely reporting of department performance.
Health & Safety
- Take all responsible steps to protect the health, safety and
welfare of all employees, visitors, members and contractors.
- Conduct risk assessment and communicate risks and hazards to
the appropriate person.
- Ensures all kitchen employees maintain required food
handling and sanitation certifications.
- Ensure that all kitchen premises are secured and locked
prior to leaving and have a thorough understanding of club theft preventative
- Work with the Security Officer to deliver an effective loss/
pilferage/ theft prevention scheme.
- Excellent ‘chefing’ capabilities and culinary knowledge of
all departments within the kitchen operations.
- Good communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Management and Leadership skills
- Good sense of taste and smell
- Results oriented
- Time management skills
- Attention to detail
- Innovative and creative
- Ability to multitask and adopt to change within a short time
- Business acumen
- Clean, with good hygiene habits
- Organized, accurate and reliable
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Team player
- Degree in Food Production, Culinary Arts or a related field
- Certificate in Microsoft Office Applications
- Must have sound knowledge of food production and kitchen
- Conversant with cost control reports
- Knowledge of stock control system
- 3 years working experience in Food Production
- At least 2 years in kitchen managerial experience Sous chef,
head chef or executive chef
- At least 5 years’ experience within the industry working for
4 star and above establishments