Reports to: Head of Supportive Functions
Location: Makindu, Makueni County
Summary of Position:
Directly responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, storage, preparation, developing menus, water filtration and maintenance of quality standards; sanitation and cleanliness; training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control, sanitation and cleanliness and infection control.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the hospital’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Serving patients with food and beverages in the ward and collecting the dishes thereafter and taking them back to the kitchen.
- Handling of utensils which includes washing, disinfecting, drying, storing, retrieving and organizing of dishes.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Prepares item for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Handles stores and rotates all products properly.
- Assists in food prep assignments as needed.
- Handling and supervising the use of water filtration equipment in the kitchen. Cleaning and refilling water dispenser bottles and installing onto water dispensers in the hospital.
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Creating working checklists for all kitchen operations.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Make employment and termination recommendations including playing a part in interviewing, hiring, evaluating and appraising kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the hospital’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Work with hospital managers to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the hospital’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Oversee and ensure that hospital policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of hospital policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in varied kitchen positions including Executive/Head Chef.
- At least 6 months of experience in a similar capacity.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen personnel, other members of staff and patients.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 25 kilograms.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
- Experience in hospital kitchen management is an added advantage.
Expected Gross Salary: Ksh 35,000