Field Technician – Fixed Term Contract until December 2020
BUSINESS AREA: iMlango Project
REPORTS TO: Project Manager
DATE: March 2020
JOB TYPE: Fixed Term Contract until December 2020
Avanti was launched in 2002 with a vision to design, build and launch pioneering satellite technology that would provide ubiquitous coverage even in the most remote or demanding of locations. Today we connect over 1.7 billion people across 118 countries across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. With over $1.2billion invested in our innovative HYLAS satellite technology, we’re building a company renowned for our customer service, technology and collaboration with partners.
We’ve challenged the industry, the legacy systems and those who said we couldn’t, and delivered against them. We believe in a world of equal opportunity, where everyone has the same chance to learn, trade, develop and prosper. A world in which no matter where you are, you can realise your ambitions.
At Avanti, with our world leading satellite technology, our highly creative, determined and resourceful ‘can-do’ culture, and our commitment to deliver last mile connectivity no matter how difficult the challenge, we ensure that even those in the remotest of locations can be connected to a world of opportunity.
Avanti ignites opportunity and our aim is to help bring stability and security to every part of the world, to help empower everyone with the same health and education and to enable every business to reach its full potential, no matter where they are. Opportunity leads to freedom, equality and hope; it also leads to growth and prosperity. We see ourselves as the catalyst for change, inspiring new opportunities that create better futures.
‘Be more’ is our unique point of view on the world. It’s how we believe that everyone has within them the potential to achieve their ambitions, and our determination to create the opportunities that enable it to happen. It reflects how we always focus on the difference we can make on the ground, not just the connectivity we deliver.
AFTER ALL, IT’S NOT THE CONNECTIVITY THAT MATTERS; IT’S WHAT IT ENABLES PEOPLE TO DO THAT COUNTS.
This position will provide technical consultation to an ICT intervention in primary schools located in one of locations in Kenya, namely - Nairobi, Kajiado, Kilifi, Makueni or Uasin Gishu. The technician will supervise the work of third party contractors and provide quality control to ensure performance metrics are met. The technician will also troubleshoot any issues that arise during school visits, and will provide additional support to schools as required.
Daily work logs and service tickets must be filled out and accurate. Technicians must be able to work face to face with customers on a regular basis, providing training and product support. There is some physical labour involved in being a field technician, and some lifting of equipment.
Technicians must have good product knowledge, but also be able to “think outside the box” when necessary. Applicants must be able to work without much direct supervision on a daily basis. There are typically multiple projects in progress at the same time, so technicians must be able to track and stay updated on multiple tasks at the same time.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Using various support channels (phone, email, chat, tickets), diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve issues by questioning customers about the issues they are facing in a detailed fashion inorder to understand the nub of the problems;
• Act as escalation point for level 1 & level 2 technical support teams. Help and guide level 1 and level 2 technical support engineers with their technical queries;
• Manage incidents through the incident resolution process ensuring all incidents are captured on OTRS and escalate per the escalation process;
• While maintaining all other responsibilities, introduce office based responsibilities;
• Travel to iMlango schools to install, maintain or repair equipment in computer labs as required;
Oversee and report on quality issues on repairs or maintenance done by contractors;
• Perform routine audits of IT equipment in the school lab and report any inconsistencies;
• Maintain, troubleshoot, repair, update routers, switches, laptops, PCs and servers;
• Troubleshoot LAN/WAN Issues, not limited to hardware issues;
• Configure Wi-Fi Access Points (Ubiquity, TP-Link, Netgear) in various modes such as Bridge / Access Point.
• Escalate issues to the Technical Lead and Project Manager as required;
• Undertake other duties as assigned by the in-country project representative, Project Manager or Technical Lead;
• Educate customers on preventive maintenance and safety regulations, and provide general customer service on the phone and in person;
• Maintain records of service calls, training, and expenses;
• Provide on-call emergency service as required and maintain communication with the department manager while in the field;
• Maintains liaison with outside vendors and orders circuits and/or equipment as required;
• Reports and monitors service order changes.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The job holder must have relevant qualifications or equivalent experience in the following:
• Number of years of experience in IT;
• Relevant degree or certification in IT;
• Must be experienced with various operating systems, with Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) a prerequisite;
• Good knowledge of DHCP Servers, DNS and network setup;
• Good written and spoken English;
• Communicate technical and non-technical issues in a concise and clear manner;
• Must be able to translate Swahili to English and vice versa;
• Must be able to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Kenya Police;
• Must understand and adhere to child protection and safeguarding policies;
• Motivated self-starter;
• Innovative use/application of Information and Communication Technologies;
• MUST have a VALID visa to work in Kenya;
• Interest in international development and education.
Remuneration will be related to the skills and experience
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.