- Responsible for planning, co-ordination, execution and
overseeing of the day to day operations, functions and activities of the
F&B department through his/her direct reports
- Responsible for ensuring guests get high quality service and a superior guest experience
- Responsible for ensuring the guests get high quality food and beverage products
- Responsible for ensuring the department operates within the set budgets
- Responsible for overall staff recruitment and training within the department
Key relationship will include but not limited to Food & beverage Production, Housekeeping, Front Desk, Sales and Marketing, Guest Relations, Accounts, Spa, Gym and Engineering.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that all the outlets are opened and ready to receive guests on time.
- Ensure the outlets operate according to the laid down Standard Operating Procedures.
- Where SOP’s are not available or are out dated, spearhead the development and/ or the updating and implementation of the same.
- Ensure maintenance needs are identified promptly; maintenance requests raised immediately and a follow up done to ensure the jobs are completed in good time and without inconveniencing guests.
- Ensure outlets maintain adequate stocks of operating equipment.
- Ensure operating equipment stock takes are done diligently and with the involvement of all team member. This shall include ensuring all stock items are availed for stock take, accurate stock takes are done, counter checking variances, updated and accurate breakage records are maintained, replacement requisitions are done promptly and maintaining a proper record of operating stock take sheets, reports, requisitions and booked issues.
- Planning and scheduling of staff for operating equipment stock takes and leading this exercise from the front.
- Ensuring all stores and storage areas under the outlets have proper key control, items inside are arranged in an orderly fashion, records of items held in the stores are maintained and monthly stock takes are taken.
- Overseeing all bar operations and carrying out periodic spot checks on stock par levels, stock management, review of overages and shortages, cleanliness and hygiene, floats accurate billing and prompt closing of bills, staff grooming, bar knowledge etc.
- Oversee service delivery in the outlets, ensuring service is smooth and efficient and that guests needs are anticipated and not only met, but exceeded.
- Spearhead the sensitization, training and implementation of the Little Things (Its the little things that delight culture) in the banqueting and night club outlets.
Human Resource (HR):
- Ensure all F&B staff that are recruited meet the set minimum requirements, are competent and have the right attitudes so as to fit into “The Little Things” culture.
- Ensure all new staff go through a thorough induction and orientation program prior to being deployed to their work station.
- Co- ordinate and oversee training of all F & B service employees on service procedures, product knowledge, up-selling techniques and emerging trends in the industry.
- Spear head the training of team members in the outlets by planning and co-ordinating daily training schedules, written and practical evaluations and examinations as well as accurate and updated record keeping.
- Identify and address new training needs and areas of potential growth and development within the department.
- Spearhead the planning and implementation of associate/ team member appraisals. This will include but not limited to, co-ordinating appraisal schedules, goal setting, identification and communication of key performance indicators, thus ensuring staff development.
- Through and with the various section and outlet heads, oversee the co-ordination, implementation and proper management of leave schedules, off days and staff duty rotas all the while ensuring double shifts and overtimes are kept at a minimum and accrued only when essential.
- Ensuring all outlet team members are well groomed at all times. This includes maintaining records of staff issued with new uniforms, replacement needs and uniform requisitions. This shall also entail addressing any issues arising within the team as regards the management of uniforms at the laundry
- Create and implement “CHAMPIONS” within the team. These shall be staff members who shall champion various causes with the department such as, special beverage promotions, special food promotions, sales, cost control, operating equipment, etc.
Revenue and Budgets:
- Have knowledge and clear understanding of the outlets sales revenue targets and knowing where we stand at any given time.
- Spearhead the sensitizing and training of team members on the sales revenue targets and ensuring they all know where the company stands at any given time. This will include ensuring Daily Revenue Reports are posted on the staff notice boards and that teams and individual staff are given daily sales targets
- Spearhead staff incentive programs based on sales targets and special promotions, such as “Sales Person of the Month’, etc
- Create an environment where team members monitor their own sales, where applicable, on a daily basis and that fosters healthy competition amongst team members.
- Ensure outlet team members are trained on the Financial Control procedures relevant to their jobs and that they clearly understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure all set Financial Control procedures in the outlets are adhered to.
- Report to management and recommend action where breach of Financial Control system is detected.
- Continuously look for opportunities and areas to further improve the existing Financial Controls Systems and procedures in the outlets.
- Have knowledge of and a proper understanding of the outlets’ cost budgets in the various cost centres
- Ensure all team members in the outlets are trained and sensitized on our cost areas and ways of cutting costs, without compromising on the guest experience.
- Continuously seek new ways of bringing down our costs without affecting the quality of service and the product that the guest receives
- Maintain records of the outlets cost performance and analyse the same with a view of lowering costs
- Analysing work processes within the department with an aim of improving efficiency of staff, getting things done faster (in a shorter period) and where possible by fewer people thus lowering labour costs.
- Carry out duties with a high degree of integrity.
- Comply with hotel rules and regulations.
- Comply with company grooming policies
- Comply with timekeeping and attendance policies
- Actively participate in training and development programs and maximize opportunities for self-development
- Be a team player, always ready and willing to assist guests and colleagues execute tasks as the job may necessitate.
- Demonstrate service attributes in accordance with industry expectations and company policies like ‘’it’s the little things’’
- Being attentive to guests
- Accurately and promptly fulfilling guest requests
- Understand and anticipate guest needs
- Maintain a high level of knowledge which will enhance the guest experience
- Demonstrate a service attitude that exceeds expectations
- Take appropriate action to resolve guests complaints
- Be able to promote the hotels products and services such as the Spa, the Health Club/ Gym, the Salon and Barber Shop, Boat rides and excursions, guest rooms etc
- Maintain a high level of products and service knowledge about the facility and all F&B activities at the hotel.
Health Safety & Security
- Demonstrate an understanding and an awareness of all policies and procedures relating to Health, Hygiene and Fire Life Safety at the Hotel
- Familiarize yourself with emergency and evacuation procedures at the hotel
- Ensure all security incidences, accidents and near misses are always logged in timely manner and brought to the attention of the F& B Manager.
- Comply with the company corporate code of conducts at all times
- Familiarize yourself with the company vision, mission and values which link to our model of desired behaviours that we expect all employees to display.
- Perform other tasks at the level of the roles as directed by the General Manager
- The above is designed to help the F & B Manager in the understanding of his/her role and is not intended to be a definitive list of duties, as flexibility in meeting company and guests needs is required by all employees.
- We would prefer a degree holder (any degree) but a candidate with a diploma and the requisite experience can also be considered.
Desired Skills & Competencies
- Has over 10 years’ experience in the hotel industry 5 of which must be in F&B with the last 3 years in a busy F&B environment at the same level in a 4 to 5 star establishment
- Someone with recent local experience – we need someone who can hit the ground running and is familiar with the F&B nuances e.g. casuals recruitment etc.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal – English is required, Kiswahili is great and a foreign language is a plus
- Good people skills as this position interacts with many different kinds of people both senior and junior, internal and external
- International experience and exposure is an added advantage
- Demonstrable ability to train staff
- Good working knowledge of the F&B terminologies
- Impeccable integrity
Reports To: General Manager
Direct Reports to you: Asst. F& B manager, Banquets Manager, and F&B supervisors