The Forklift Driver is to have a good knowledge of Nairobi and its Environs.
Description of Duties
- Be the solely authorized driver and operator of the forklift.
- Responsible for filling the forklift log sheet and must obtain the necessary approval for the journey before departure.
- Complete the log sheet at the end of each trip.
- Checking regularly water and oil levels, batteries, tire pressure, lighting system, the general shape of the forklift and report to the immediate supervisor of any problems or breakdowns.
- Ensure that the forklift is clean all the time when in use or otherwise, has valid licenses, insurance certificate, inspection certificates and is in good condition before use.
- Ensure that No unauthorized person(s) shall be carried on the Forklift
- Responsible for knowing the machine well. The operator must understand its functions and limitations as well as its particular operating characteristics.
- Responsible for having a thorough knowledge of the information contained in the forklift’s operating manual.
- Responsible for inspecting and maintaining the forklift regularly as prescribed both in the outlined standard operations guidelines and manufacturer’s manual.
- Inform your supervisor of any problems, needed maintenance, or necessary repairs to the machine. This should be done in writing in the inspection and maintenance report.
- Record in the inspection and maintenance report details of all work done on the forklift while in the field.
- Responsible for the safety of the forklift operation as soon as the load is lifted clear of the ground. Because of this responsibility, whenever there is reasonable cause to believe that the lift might be dangerous or unsafe, the operator must refuse to lift until the concern has been reported to the immediate supervisor, any hazards rectified and safety conditions are met.
- Responsible of being aware of any site conditions that could affect the forklift operation. Be particular cautious around power lines etc.
- Responsible for inspecting that the site is adequately prepared for the forklift.
- Review the planned operations and requirements with your immediate supervisor and customer.
- Finding out the load and rigging weight and determining where the load is to be placed.
- Responsible for considering all the factors that might reduce the forklift capacity and adjust the load weight accordingly. This will include such factors as weather and ground conditions.
- Should exercise the right to refuse to operate the forklift if there is cause to suspect the lift might be unsafe.
- Detailed description of the minimum knowledge, skills, experience and attributes needed for the job
- High School/Diploma
- Possess a valid and clean BCE driving license
- Certificate of good conduct
- Have at least 3 year experience as a forklift operator in busy environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as part of a team
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Should be quick in understanding, keen in taking instructions, and able to work with minimum supervision
- Demonstrate integrity, courteous, helpful and industrious