• You sell petrol, diesel and other products such as groceries, and newspapers.
• Dealing with customers is a key part of this job. Most petrol stations are self-service. You watch a computer screen that logs the amount of fuel being taken from each pump. You can stop the flow to any pump if you need to. You will need to be alert to any drivers who try to drive off without paying for their fuel, or those who try to use a mobile phone on the forecourt.
• Attendants deal with payments, offer any promotional vouchers (for things like gifts and discounts) and sell tokens for other services, such as a car wash. You take payments in cash as well as by debit or credit card, and you deal with loyalty cards. You stock shelves and keep outside display areas filled with things like newspapers, flowers, and de-icer or barbecue charcoal.
• In attended service stations, you go on to the forecourt to serve customers and to promote products such as screen wash. Petrol Station Attendants might also have to clean and tidy the pumps and the forecourt area. Some might carry out routine inspections of equipment such as the car wash and the air lines used to pump up car tyres.
• Safety and security are very important in this work. Fuel is highly flammable so strict safety rules must be followed. Attendants put sand on to petrol that has been spilt. Some deal with fuel deliveries by putting traffic cones around the tanker and checking fuel meters for the underground tanks.
• Attendants are responsible for the security of money on the premises and can be involved in cashing up at the end of the shift.
• Some duties, especially for those working at attended service stations, mean that you could be outside in all types of weather.
• If the petrol station is open at night, you might have to serve customers through a hatch for security reasons. In smaller petrol stations, you might work alone at night. Some wear a uniform.
• Being able to read, write and speak Welsh may be an advantage when you’re looking for work in Wales.
Personal Qualities and Skills
• Be polite and helpful and enjoy dealing with people
• Work quickly and accurately at busy times
• Be aware of, and closely follow, health and safety rules work as part of a team
Forward the following:
• Your CV photo attached
• Passport copy
• Full body photograph
• Certificate of good conduct
• Work recommendation
• High school/college certificate
• Certificate in computer studies