Direct Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Main Purpose of the Job:
The role will be responsible for providing leadership and direction to the Operations team and overseeing the implementation of the set financial, strategic and operation objectives in line with the company’s strategy.
The position will create a positive work environment that encourages full utilization of available resources, maintaining systems and procedures for operational efficiency as well as providing strategic leadership in steering the company towards its strategic goals.
Reporting to the CEO and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the GM will be responsible for the development of Our Client’s financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals. In addition to the strategic components, the GM will be charged with developing and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures both in the finance, Brand & Business Development, operations and customer relations management, Human Capital, Compliance and Risk management, Strategic planning, Implementation oversight as well as reporting to the Board and Regulators. This is an outstanding opportunity for an executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Revenue generation and bottom-line performance.
2. Advise the CEO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
3. Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
4. Plan, Coordinate, and execute the annual budget process.
5. Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as investment management, benefits payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
6. Oversee the company’s audit process.
Human Capital- Team Development/Leadership
1. Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance, operations, Business Development, Insurance, HR teams.
2. Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
3. Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
4. Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
5. Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
6. Carrying out performance appraisal, coaching and mentoring staff
Brand and Business Development
1. Focus on enhancing Our Client’s reputation
2. Developing operational and business strategies to retain and grow business profitably.
3. Developing and introducing new products in the market until maturity
4. Coordinating operational & corporate activities to deliver excellent customer experience within the set Group standards.
5. Initiate Business Development related to Consultancy, Training and Schemes set up.
6. Advising, assisting and supporting the marketing team in generating new business, cross selling and retaining existing business.
Compliance and Risk Management
1. Overseeing the preparation and delivery of management reports for internal and external business review, audits and ensuring that business operations adhere to compliance requirements by regulatory authorities.
2. Ensuring that risk accepted are of good quality and adequately reinsured.
3. Ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements and reporting.
4. Ensure that Our Client is acting in the public interest with efficiency, effectiveness and in line with the legislative, regulatory and contractual frameworks.
Operations and Client Relations Management
1. To efficiently provide client support, training, operations consultancy and relationship management services to clients.
2. Conducting business reviews to ensure clients are satisfied with their products and services.
3. Under the Insurance and Brokerage division, provide wider support to the Executive Team on claims and underwriting topics as well as issues.
4. Working closely with Account Managers/Heads of Units in all operational matters.
5. Monitoring company performance against service level agreements and flagging potential issues.
6. Provide analytical support to Our Client’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
7. Developing and recommending operational policies, goals and objectives while conferring with the CEO and the staff members as necessary.
8. Addressing complex customer complaints and recommending appropriate solutions
9. Managing debt status against set policy and ensuring interdepartmental functions are Coordinated well.
10. Supervision of Heads of Departments.
Strategic Planning and Implementation Oversight
1. Serve as the management liaison to the board and audit committee, effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings.
2. Contribute to the development of Our Client’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
3. Ensure that Our Client is adhering to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the board.
4. Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO informed of all critical issues.
5. Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in client relations and consulting.
6. Developing and recommending to the CEO long-term strategies and annual business plans for the company and reporting on progress.
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Finance/Marketing/Insurance or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
2. Certification in AIIK or ACII or its equivalent from a recognized institution
3. Member of AIIK, ICPAK, ICS or a relevant professional body.
4. Minimum 8 years’ relevant experience with at least three (3) years at operations management level in a high growth organization.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
1. Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
2. Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
3. Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
4. Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
5. Excellent communication skills and ability to work under pressure
6. Excellent planning and organization skills
7. Superior management skills, ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
8. Self-reliant, results oriented and customer focused.
9. Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical operational initiatives.
10. Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, board of directors, and staff.
11. Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
12. Passion for Our Client’s vision and mission.
1. Scheme members/Trustees
2. Service Providers
3. Heads of Units/Departments
4. All current and prospected Clients
5. All employees
Client relationship and Overall Business Growth
Complexity and Judgement
1. Need to make judgements and recommendation on own initiative to meet expected role requirements.
2. The need to synchronize demands and priorities which could be conflicting.
Freedom of Decision Making/Authority
The jobholder makes decisions within the Company Policy, seeking clarification where necessary from the CEO.