EABL is a leading drinks company in Eastern Africa with a wide portfolio of products in various categories of beer, spirits, malt, glass and other non-alcoholic drinks. EABL is quoted in all the 3 East African stock exchanges and has operations in Eastern Africa with a turnover of over £553m. It is the largest business unit in Diageo Africa, and directly operates 5 breweries, 2 spirits plants as well as a barley & malting facility. EABL operates within a multicultural, multinational, multicurrency environment. The Group comprises 3 main business units (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania) with five sub-business units (UDV, KBL, Duty Free, S.Sudan, Great Lakes) all of which have different competitive environments.
The Group BPM function is charged with orchestrating a time relevant performance management cycle that focuses the individual countries to build annual plans aligned to Diageo’s strategic goals and then regularly review and course-correct the annual plans in order to deliver the targets in an evolving operating environment. The Group BPM manager is supported by an analyst and the Financial controlling team in the Africa Business Shared Service Centre (ABSC). The role works in partnership with EABL Executive members, Country FD’s, Country Functional Heads, Diageo Africa Leadership and EABL Board.
Purpose of role
- BPM: Drive rigorous planning & reporting processes to ensure excellent annual plans and O&R forecasts, are developed right the first time. Develop, implement and refine Business Performance Management processes supporting EABL Exec to achieve the growth aspirations both at hub and individual business unit level.
- Insights for decision support: Routinely generate and publish both financial and commercial insights that drive better understanding of business drivers and provoke requisite intervention plans.
This role has responsibility to lead the BPM function in spearheading the optimization of EABL's performance and has one direct report. Responsibilities include but not limited to;
- Lead and orchestrate sustainable business performance processes to ensure business objectives are achieved both at country and hub level.
- Generation of valuable insights that provoke intervention initiatives towards delivery of both short term and long term business targets in a volatile business environment.
- Generate business analysis and reporting for the Group Managing Director and Group Finance & Strategy Director as well as the EABL Board, Shareholders AGM, press and investment analysts.
- Act as key point of interface between EABL and Diageo Africa and central reporting teams. Manage key relationships with Shared Services other centers of excellence and Diageo Africa to ensure all contributors to the BPM process work seamlessly.
- Wide range of internal stakeholders from individual markets (Market MDs and FDs), Head of Group Finance, Group Finance & Strategy Director and Group Managing Director - the job holder will be expected to challenge FD's and MD's where necessary. Job holder will have strong functional influence across EABL
- Support the Head of Group Finance to manage relationships with external stakeholders such as investment banks, stock exchange analysts and professional advisors.
- A member of the Finance leadership team jointly accountable for development of finance capability across markets and building amazing relationships across EABL Finance teams including coaching.
- Business performance Management
- Inclusive annual planning processes at the HUB level.
- Orchestrate monthly O&R forecasts and drive gap analysis and risk/opportunity identification.
- World class business performance reviews.
- Ensure Monthly management reporting requirements are met.
- Constructively challenge, input and maximize value in key business areas and drive exceptional business performance (raise the bar)
- World class external business reporting to EABL board, shareholders AGM and investment analysts.
- Analytical rigour & Decision Support
- Exceptional analytics to generate insights that drive decision making across finance, sales and marketing at a hub level.
- People Performance & Relationship Management.
- Coach and develop own team plus FP&R resources both in country and in shared services.
- Own and foster the relationships externally & internally between key stakeholders like Diageo enterprise operations, Diageo Africa, Market MD/FD’s and Investment analysts.
- Business Degree with a finance qualification and extensive post-qualification experience in an FMCG company of a large developing market.
- Significant amount of time spent in a finance leadership role, strong analytical and insights generation capability underpinned by technical accounting skills.
- Strong commercial acumen, broad business perspective and hands on and in depth understanding of the nuts and bolts of a business.
- Highly developed influencing skills capable of simplifying complex issues in approachable language. Outstanding skills in the areas of communication, relationship management and interpersonal skills. Self-starter with high levels of energy & commitment.