Reports To: Sales Director, KBL
At EABL we have a clear and fully aligned vision of becoming Top 3 most respected CPG and #1 On Trade team in every market in which we operate. Our mission is to become a more customer centric organisation and create collaborative relationships with our customers that drive mutual commercial performance. EABL has an opportunity to further leverage our shopper, customer and category insights to maximise the incremental value that we deliver with our customers. We will achieve this through Joint Value Creation with our customers – collaborating to maximise mutual growth from the category from ideation through to execution. Customer Marketing is at the heart of this journey.
Customer Marketing is a growing and dynamic part of the Diageo business globally and is recognized as the key must-have partner to Diageo’s already world-class consumer marketing team. There is a significant focus globally on customer marketing and stretching ambition to drive a step-change in our business. Within this Kenya is seen as a lead market in driving this change. This means putting the best people, resources and significant investment into this part of the business. By doing this we will work towards our vision of becoming the undisputed leader in beers and spirits through collaborating with customers and leveraging our impressive portfolio of brands.
Customer Marketing is a function at the forefront of both consumer and Retail customers and is currently seen as one of the most exciting and challenging places to be within our business.
Customer Marketing turns shoppers into buyers of our brands through shopper propositions that are aligned firstly to our category, customer and also brand goals. Within EABL, Customer Marketing are in the unique position of being able to leverage the breadth of our portfolio across beers and spirits to engage with Shoppers and Customers and define and lead the category growth agenda
The standards set by this role will ensure that MBP Brands have brilliantly executable customer plans that deliver against the KBL F22 strategy
- The distribution, activation and channel plans developed by the Head of Customer Marketing and his/her team will define in country plans and so deliver the individual country P&Ls and those of their designated category/brands
- The role impacts all brand plans (AOP) and A&P (£15M – BTL & non-working spend)
- Measured against KBL growth targets and the key battlegrounds related to the designated categories
b) Market Context and opportunities
Our aim is to reverse a long-term trend of spirits losing share of TBA to beer and wine. Our customers are getting bigger and tougher and we are seeing increased rates of consolidation in the on trade and increasing leverage of buying groups in the on and off trade. New competitors in the marketplace are demonstrating real aggression and value players are leveraging price and duty prices to occupy emotional price points. The decline in the on trade is accelerating and we are also facing challenges including increased costs of goods and a toughening alcohol policy environment. The current economic environment is also affecting consumer choice with some consumers “trading down”.
Our aspiration is to transform consumers’ and shoppers relationships with beer and spirits – now the most dynamic and exciting alcohol categories – by significantly increasing customer engagement in the opportunity presented by the beer and spirits categories.
We have begun to develop a “win win” strategy in our relationships, thinking from the customer’s point of view to deliver great service, insights and solutions.
To achieve F22 ambition requires a significant focus on the customer and shopper in addition to our winning consumer marketing strategies to enable us to meet ambitious growth targets for our successful portfolio of world-class brands. Our focus will be on category driving marketing programmes that drive the category whilst benefiting our leading brands including Tusker, Tusker Malt, Tusker Lite, Senator, Smirnoff, Guinness, Kenya Cane, Baileys, Johnnie Walker and Singleton
We are building a culture in Kenya where all of our sales, marketing, supply and finance investment activities help create value for EABL, our customers and other stakeholders in our business success.
c) Leadership Responsibilities
- Leader of the Function and sets strategic direction of the team. Lead the planning and execution of all Below the Line activities in the On and Off trade. Play a fundamental role in creating the commercial roadmap for the short, medium and long term. Also lead the capability agenda ensuring that the team is high performing and developed in roles
- Lead the development and embedding of all Commercial strategies, standards, processes and tools. Lead the tracking, Measurement and Reporting against these standards. Being the originator of category plans, this role will lead the planning necessary to achieve brilliant execution of category plans throughout the year as well as keeping up to date with category insights. Drive growth by improving the shopping experience for the shopper
- Commercial Planning lead
- Make decisions on activity timings and commercial growth strategies, whilst providing support, resource and leadership for big/complex activities
- Stakeholder management and influencing at all levels, across Marketing & Country teams, to align on consistent TTL plans executed brilliantly at scale
- As the commercial lead for the various categories/brands, Customer Marketing lead course corrects and is ultimately responsible for delivering AOP. They are also responsible for M&E in the relevant brand/category
- Lead in Embedding the Commercial Knowledge and practice across Sales, Marketing and Commercial Excellence teams
- Lead the Management and Execution of all BTL activities, trade initiatives and execution standards with the Sales Team
Purpose of Role
- Commercial Strategy and Category Management:
Own Trade and Category strategy Develop fit for purpose Execution standards and Targets Develop relevant commercial/execution policies; Own Trade spend Controls management and tracking; Own one plan development and management ; Own the BTL Commercial score card (updating, reporting and course correction); Use of analytics for all commercial systems e.g. DMS, TRAX ; Own Asset management (Permanent POSM); Lead category and Shopper Marketing; Use customer strategies/category insights/shopper insight to develop brilliant customer/consumer propositions; Leader of category executions and sales briefing documents; M&E - clearly defined rhythm of M&E and reporting is established Utilizing insights into shopper behaviors and motivations to provide competitive solutions that ensure we win
- Commercial Planning
Manages the BPM process for their categories; Owner of the annual category activity calendar; Ensure insight from category development is used in the commercial plans being built by the Channel Manager; Provide regular updates on category performance, category activities and competitive analysis ; Owner of the M&E for all categories; Accountable for all executions Sales briefing documents / delivery Track performance and Execution
- Shopper Marketing
Creation of brand shopper toolkits that are channel ready – 12 month planning by Brand (MBP Brands); Creation of high quality and scalable single or multi brand Shopper Marketing growth drivers for execution to grow share, drive equity and penetration growth Working with, and managing Agencies to set the highest standards and deliver the very latest and best Shopper Marketing work in the Industry
- Innovations Commercialization
Support the Head of Innovations to deliver the Innovation AOP; Support the setting and lead ongoing tracking of KPIs including project recommendations and standards of execution; Troubleshoot issues, support interventions when needed for Innovation Products
- Customer Marketing Team Capability
Carry out actual training on the required Commercial Competencies, standards Coaching the team on how to perform their duties to the fullest and as per standards Advising on specific capability interventions required by teams/individuals
- Develop, manage and ensure consistent delivery of all BTL Activities, Channel Development, Innovations Commercialization and other Trade Programs
- Own Commercial Planning for the Kenya Business including NRM, Brand & Category, Digital, Supply Efficiency, Sales Efficiency, Outlet Execution and Innovation with support from the Commercial Driver Owners from the other functions
- Owns and facilitates strategy planning (trade & category) and cycle brief processes between brand marketing, shopper marketing and sales teams, ensuring country plans are driving growth whilst being clearly prioritized, coordinated, simple and efficient
- Commercial scorecards focused on drivers of depletion, effectiveness of investments, performance of customers as well as brands
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Strong consumer, customer or category marketing capabilities essential; 10+ years’ worth of marketing/Commercial/Customer Marketing experience.
- Significant experience in different channels/segments or customer marketing experience beneficial
- Masterful at creating alignment across our consumer, shopper and customer agenda
- Understand what it means and is experienced in all aspects of great people management
- Proven success at driving change and inspiring and influencing significant teams to get behind new ideas