Department: Legal Affairs
Reports to: C.E.O
Responsible for (Direct reports): Legal Officer
- Process the records and prepare the legal agenda of the company.
- Keep all the records for minutes of meetings along with annual general meetings with potential shareholders.
- Attend meetings with company shareholders and board of directors as is also responsible to ensure proper legal norms and financial standards of the company
- Monitoring the necessary changes in regulatory management and legislation if it is necessary.
- Ensure that the company measures standards are properly complied and used perfectly before signing new deals with the clients.
- Take care and maintain the records of insured property of company and over dues for the same.
- Maintain the coordination with authorities and external regulatory.
- Take care of the company’s PR management and should always work for the growth of the company.
- Provide management with monthly updates on status of implementation progress of contracted scope from vendor, arising issues and their impact on the company’s business
- Review and manage contractual obligations of the parties and tracks the implementation progress of the project in coordination with Technology, Project, Operations and Sourcing teams e.g. equipment and services delivery time lines, systems upgrades, etc
- Prepare, organize and maintain contract records and files and documenting contract performance and compliance including equipment delivery notes, Provisional and Final Acceptance Certificates (FAC) liquidated damages claims etc.
- Provide contracts and agreements continual review to ensure all terms and conditions are legal and are properly implemented
- Prepare and disseminate information regarding contracts status, compliance and modifications.
- Alert involved team including management on supplier or service provider deviations from contractual obligations (e.g. committed Scope of Work - SoW and Performance Improvement Plan - PIP, delays in equipment and services delivery, shortages in delivered Bill of Quantity - BoQ, malfunctioning equipment, etc and notifies the supplier or service provider on those deviations and potential contractual implications
- Liaise with the company’s external lawyers on matters of litigation and commercial and Keep track of all additional changes requested throughout the life of the agreement
- Identifies risks and issues, suggests alternatives that lead to best legal solution.
- Proactively work with the clients and FON team to resolve contractual issues, interfacing with Legal authorities as needed
- Coordinate with the Head of Finance and alert them on vendor reaching milestones triggering payments as per contract
- Provides Treasury the required information whether the Bank Guarantee - BG need to be extended or redeemed from bank according to vendor performance
- Assess any applicable penalties, Liquidated Damages - LDs, and service credits based on continuous performance monitoring
- Respond to complex inquiries regarding contract obligations, revisions and any legal issues.
- Ability to draft and negotiate moderate to complex, routine contractual terms and may conduct research to support contract audit and or facilitate business unit contracting trends
- Attend regular review meetings with vendors and stakeholders and take any actions required to resolve commercial and any legal issues
- Acts as primary contact between involved team and/or business unit and Legal Local Authorities, ensuring all legal and contractual matters are addressed efficiently and promptly.
- Develops and integrates Contract Management tools, templates, methods and processes
- Draft and finalize all necessary legal document including contracts, transfers/ assignment and assumption agreements and Licenses.
- Draft and finalize plans for dealing with existing liabilities, contingent liabilities and pending legal proceedings
- Review Policies for compliances with Local Law.
- Draft and finalize conflict of interest policy for the company.
- Handle and manage all legal communications with Government and non-government organizations
- Assist the CEO and the Board in managing communications with internal departments and external organizations
- Any other duties as assigned by the C.E.O
Performance Measures and Targets:
- Ensuring records of the company are updated and conform to the laws of the country.
- Presentation of reports in a clear and simple manner.
- Ensuring transparency in the organisation’s system
- 4 years of experience as a Legal Officer/Practitioner. Experience in Litigation & conveyance and contract/agreement drafting would be desirable.
- An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Academic: Bachelor’s degree in Law, Master’s degree in Law would be desirable
- Professional: Post Graduate Diploma in Law, CPS (K), Member of ICPSK, Current Advocate practising certificate and Certificate in counselling would be desirable.
Specialist knowledge required:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Quick books and PowerPoint
- Thorough knowledge of the common rules and regulations of a company. He or she should have the deep knowledge of corporate regulatory and company rules or norms so that can work with the standard measures.
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to details and accuracy
- Planning and Organising skills
- Excellent Negotiating skills
- Analytical skills
- Team Player
- Knowledge of industry changes in regards to issues affecting law & administration
- Ability to maintain confidential information