Based in any remote location
Reports to Deputy Director, HIV/TB and STAR Project Director
Short term contract for up 3 months, 40 -60 working days max.
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSIers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for dynamic candidates with significant global health program experience and expertise in technical writing and knowledge management for the HIV Technical Writer, Consultant. The Consultant will work closely with the HIV STAR program staff to edit and package seven case studies into a booklet that showcases PSI's implementation experience. Targeting a global technical audience, the Consultant will use qualitative and quantitative skills to analyze and present project results and experiences. S/he must be able to convey complex information simply and succinctly. Working with program and communications staff, the Consultant is responsible for providing guidance on internally and externally disseminating PSI technical publications and resources in online and print forms. In addition, s/he assists in editing technical documents, reviewing documents with an eye for consistency, clarity and grammatical correctness.
The Consultant will work closely with PSI staff at all levels both in South Africa and elsewhere and report to the Project Director, HIV. This will be a 3-months consulting contract and may be performed remotely or from a PSI office.
Sound like you? Read on.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Consultant is responsible for ensuring smooth and timely flow of work. Scope of work includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Edit and package original content (seven case studies) into a single publication highlighting implementation experience, challenges and accomplishments using provided templates
- Work with project leads and country teams to capture critical concepts for articulation to external audiences
- Advise on targeted dissemination strategies to ensure technical publications reach priority audiences; prepare summaries to announce knowledge products on project website and via social media channels
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, social sciences or a related field
- 5+ years’ experience designing, implementing, evaluating and/or serving as a technical writer for HIV programs (experience in HIVST preferred)
- Excellent writing skills, with an ability to write technical content clearly, concisely, and in an engaging manner, drawing from a variety of data sources under tight timelines; editing experience a plus
- Proven scientific writing experience, including publications
- Familiarity with design of visual representations of data, including diagrams, charts, and graphs
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills (optional)
- Experience working with UNITAID is a plus
- Proven ability to develop routines to manage large workloads and organize work efficiently
- Advanced computer skills with strong Office 365 skills (and other Office 365 applications)
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign a plus
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- References will be required
N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position [subject to legal eligibility requirements].
Successful candidates will be customer service oriented, exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills; have proven problem solving ability; be able to work efficiently and quickly under pressure; be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks; and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on assignments. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in international health and development issues, and technology innovation.
What would get us excited?
- Health Area Experience. You have technical writing experience in a specific health area and have deeper knowledge in Family Planning, NCDs, WASH or Malaria, in addition to HIV (required)
- Strong Technical Leadership. You believe in the power of behavior change and have worked on both large and small projects that have used this approach with demonstrated impact. You possess strong technical skills and deep knowledge that you can and have applied across different health areas. You have solid understanding of quality standards in knowledge management and can hold your own in a room with other specialists in this area, diplomatically defending unconventional approaches to longstanding problems.
- Natural Collaborator. You enjoy working with others and will persist even when the going gets tough. You work to inspire a shared vision for knowledge management. You have successfully helped previous colleagues learn, grow and thrive in their work.
- Mind for Process Improvement. You bring awareness and commitment to doing work effectively and efficiently. You see a way to streamline or improve a process and who won’t hesitate to share your ideas for how to get the whole team on board to make it happen.