A manager, with formal education and practical experience in the field of horticulture, particularly in production of a variety of fruits, a variety of herbs and potatoes. Success in this position will be defined by the position holders ability to learn and pick up new skills, to research and implement innovative methods, to maintain high production without necessary and excessive expenditures, ensuring the production within its area and variety is maximal.
- Experience in propagation and hardening
- Experience in cultivation, growing and post-harvest of a variety of herbs
- Some experience in pest and disease management
- Some experience in irrigation and fertigation
- Demonstrable skills in particularly, the cultivation of paw paw, grape vines, basil, lavender, mint (or any other variety of herbs), etc.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- The holder of this position will be in charge of creating the protocols for, and overseeing the production in all its stages.
- Advising overall management on the budgeting for this department.
- Tabulating all data concerning production, pest management (in their population, severity and causes), and post-harvest, using this data to improve the operations of the department and anticipate any and all trends in production, and any other factors that affect this.
- Creating, adjusting (based on external factors such as weather, or overuse of the same spray causing resistance), and implementing a curative and preventive pest and disease management system
- Creating a system of identifying pests/diseases, and severity of the same in a given plantation.
- Overseeing and ensuring efficacy and timeliness over all cultural activities i.e pruning, weeding, etc.
- Ensuring a hygienic plant environment, ensuring sanitary and hygiene procedure are followed by employees engaging with the production area.
- Management of the crop in all its cycles to ensure maximal production is achieved within every square meter of production, that the environment (temperature, humidity, soil aeration, irrigation, and nutrition), is engineered to producing quality yield.
- Maintaining KEPHIS and any other global standards body compliance expectations.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in horticulture.
- A minimum of 5 to 10 years’ experience working in the horticulture field.