Reports To: Head of Department, Hospitality Management
Department: Hospitality Management
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
About the Organization
Are you ready to revolutionize global education? We’re on a mission to provide transformational, personalized learning experiences that prepare students for professional success in the 21st century.
Over the past ten years, the Akilah Institute has become East Africa’s pre-eminent institution for women’s leadership and career development. Now, after a decade of impact in Rwanda, we are launching Davis College, a new global co-ed network of universities. We’re expanding access to more students than ever, and will offer degrees to male and female students. We have an ambitious vision for scale of our unique model of personalized and affordable higher education, while maintaining Akilah as a unique campus for female leaders.
Davis College Rwanda and Davis College Hong Kong will open in 2020. By 2030, we will create a global network of 10 Davis College campuses in Asia and Africa and educate 1 million students in online and face to face environments over the next ten years.
Our pillars (21st-century skills, personalized learning, innovation, ethical leadership, and sustainability) underpin all of our academic programs and serve as our guiding light during this phase of rapid expansion. We’re committed to equipping students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in careers in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
Davis College is searching for an energetic & motivated candidate for the position of Hospitality Management Instructor. Reporting to the HOD, Hospitality Management, the Hospitality Management instructor will play a critical role in the department with duties related to delivering Hospitality Management Courses, planning student centered lessons, and provide ongoing feedback to the Deputy Academic Director to continuously improve the Hospitality Management curriculum.
The candidate will have continuous professional development opportunities at the Institute. This position is ideal for a determined and passionate Instructor who wants to empower women through education.
- Effectively deliver Hospitality Management courses to Davis College learners as per Davis College Standards. Follow all academic delivery according to CBE and as listed in the course folder.
- Provide ongoing feedback on the effectiveness of the Hospitality Management curriculum to the Deputy Academic Director and Chief Academic Officer. Provide input and recommendations on how to successfully adapt the Hospitality Management curriculum for cultural and situational relevance.
- Ensure that students provide course evaluations at the end of each trimester by scheduling with students to complete this requirement.
- Invigilate and assess exams.
- Ensure marking/grading and reporting of students’ performance is carried out every week, and as per the deadlines set by Davis College and updated in the student management system. Perform competency checks as indicated in the syllabus.
- Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback on their performance. This includes weekly uploads of assessments to the LMS.
- Ensure students’ attendance is recorded by period daily via the Student Management System. Alert the Deputy Academic Director and Dean of Studies regarding particular student attendance issues for effective and appropriate timely management.
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Davis College regulations as per the Student Handbook policies.
- Perform other duties including, but not limited to, meeting with students who have academic challenges, providing tutoring and additional instruction, and providing encouragement to students. A minimum of two hours must be announced to students and set aside per week for students who are non-proficient.
- Collaboration with faculty members on current academic initiatives and special projects
- Participate in weekly PLC meetings and department meetings
- Submit weekly report to PM and consistently communicate/collaborate with PM and colleagues
- Adhere to and observe all policies as detailed in the Davis College Employee Handbook and Faculty Handbook.
- A minimum of 20 in class teaching hours. For schedules under 20 hours an instructor will be given a special project to be worked on in lieu of those teaching hours.
- A minimum of 2 hours a week for office hours to meet with students for feedback
- Attend required Professional Development workshops and HM courses and trainings.
- Oversee the Hospitality Management Lab as assigned.
- Teach any other related courses as per the need of the Institute.
- Accept additional assignments and projects, as needed. Meet deadlines and provide deliverables as per Deputy Academic Director’s instructions.
- Be on the Davis College Campus for preparation time, teaching hours and trainings.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Education with a focus on Hospitality or any other hospitality related program.
- Hospitality related experience with a focus of F&B
- Interest in teaching and a commitment to grow their individual teaching practice.
- Open to and willing to work on feedback regarding teaching practice.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook, Google Docs and databases.
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Davis College
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment.
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and proactive character.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
Interested Candidates please apply on the Akilah Institute website on the link below.