Location: Karen (1)
Salary Range : Ksh 30,000-45,000
Plan, organize, control and direct the work of employees responsible for the preparation and presentation of a broad array of cakes, pastries, desserts, petits fours and breads which meet customer expectations.
Reporting to the Head Chef, the Pastry Chef's main function is to plan, organize, control and direct the work of employees responsible for the preparation and presentation of a broad array of cakes, pastries, desserts, petits fours and breads which meet customer expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create new pastry and dessert menus for all restaurant outlets and banquets, conduct tastings and presentations with photos and costing
- establishing culinary standards specific for Pastry/Bakery which meets the need of the target market.
- Develop and maintain up-dated operations manuals for all food production and Stewarding sections and make recipes and maintain up- dated and accurate costing of all Pastry dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operation
- Supervise the Pastry kitchen staff in the preparation and presentation of all food items in accordance with the hotel’s food and beverage standards and standardized menu guidelines
- Inspect several times daily all food stores and refrigerated areas and suggest, where necessary, correct storage methods to comply with Health & Safety regulations, to avoid spoilage and ensure regular turnover of food items and give completed check lists to the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Check food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control on a daily basis
- Liaise with the Chief Steward in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the Pastry/Bakery kitchen, such as machinery and small kitchen equipment
- Plan the duty rosters on weekly basis.
- Work with the Head Chef in the preparation and management of the department’s budget
- Assist in coordinating the preparation of the departmental annual budget
- Control and monitor departmental costs on an ongoing basis to ensure performance against budget
- Provide input for probation and formal performance appraisal discussions in line with company guidelines.
- Demonstrate Awareness of OH&S policies and procedures and ensure all procedures are conducted safely and within OH&S guidelines.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Any other duties that may be delegated by the management through the head Chef
- Diploma/ Certificate in Food Production
- 3-5 years previous experience in the same role .
- Must have worked in a four star or 5 Hotel .
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to identify and delegate tasks effectively.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledgeable of food safety regulations.
- Computer literacy
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work and communicate in a multinational environment:
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and can multitask
- Ability to remain calm and composed under pressure