ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We’re looking for an HR generalist who will oversee excellent operational execution while driving strategic projects across our global HR team. You will create efficiency and reduce waste by identifying process bottlenecks and implementing HR process improvements. You are an experienced manager who is equal parts People- and analysis-obsessed, with a record of designing efficient, data-first systems. You will likely manage up to 3 associates and report to our Global HR Director.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead monthly payroll and tax reporting: you will work with your direct reports and internal partners to execute monthly payroll accurately and on time. You’ll continually lead improvement efforts that ensure the HR team is spending <20% of its time running monthly recurring functions.
- Grow into an important leadership voice in setting People strategy: you’ll collaborate with the Global Director of People, the Global HR director, and heads of our Internal Consulting, Recruitment, and Training and Development to set global People strategy.
- Lead projects: you will achieve results in project execution by identifying and clarifying issues and priorities; communicating and coordinating teams; evaluating milestone achievements; evaluating optional courses of action; changing assumptions and directions within projects. Potential projects may include:
- Design a compensation and rewards strategy for all staff: you work with senior and executive-level partners to develop a compensation and rewards strategy and establish partnerships and detailed plans to bring that to life. This will cover OAF’s entire staff complement of 8000+ staff.
- Build an excellent “internal client” service desk: you work with your deputies to build excellent reporting and customer service tools, ensuring that our HR team can meet support requests from staff and HR data requests from all partners.
- Statutory compliance: you will ensure compliance with local labor laws and statutory requirements by understanding current HR and Payroll compliance environment and ensuring adherence to requirements, and advising leadership on all necessary actions.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Preferred work experience: 5+ years in HR Operations and Organisational Effectiveness roles. Top candidates will have human capital consulting experience. Experience delivering improvements for scaling public, private or non-profit (social enterprise) sectors.
- Technical knowledge: Experience developing dynamic dashboards, advanced Excel (can perform complex functions), knowledge of Google Suite and other collaboration tools, ability to work with both technical and non-technical partners. Experience with enterprise-wide HR software systems such as SAP SuccessFactors, Oracle, Workday, PeopleSoft, etc will be an added advantage.
- Excellent people/team manager: You’ve accelerated the careers of growing professionals and leave multiple layers of succession behind you. You’re comfortable delivering difficult feedback but at the same time, are ready to invest your time in supporting your direct reports’ professional development.
- Customer-focused culture: Experience driving customer-centricity when rolling out projects, process improvements; creating systems to address and resolve customer needs as part of People Support; and providing constructive or developmental feedback to others, driving performance.
- Coaching and mentorship: Experience planning and supporting the individual development of skills that your team needs for success. You will model One Acre Fund’s purpose, vision and Culture Code.
- Language: Fluency in English required. Proficiency in Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda or French is a plus.
- Professional associations: Candidates who are Kenyan citizens, residents or will be working in Kenya are legally required to be members of the Institute of Human Resource Management (IHRM).
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible.
Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance paid time off
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes, for Kigali, Rwanda. Must have existing rights to work in Kenya to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.