Working Contacts: Patients, staff
Reports To: HOD ICU & HOD Physiotherapy/Medical Services
Supervisory Responsibility: none
Nanyuki Cottage Hospital (NCH), in Nanyuki Kenya, is a non-profit private charity, with 50 in-patient beds, an operating theatre, laboratory, radiography department, and pharmacy. Widely recognized as the leading healthcare provider in the region, the Hospital offers general out-patient medical services, as well as antiretroviral therapy, family planning, maternity and pediatric services, HIV counseling, ICU & HDU services, dental services, and immunization. The Hospital also hosts a frail care facility and sheltered housing.
- Organise and prioritise allocated patient caseload and undertake routine physiotherapy tasks within well established clinical protocols and according to approved Hospital clinical management plans to ensure appropriate and effective patient management.
- Deliver competent physiotherapy clinical services (which includes thorough assessment/examination, diagnosis, individualised and planned interventions, the use of safe and current techniques/ modalities and comprehensive documentation and communication) to achieve and maintain improved functional outcomes for allocated patients in accordance with prescribed professional and ethical standards.
- Formulate and deliver individual physiotherapy treatment programmes based on a sound knowledge of evidence based practice and treatment options using clinical assessment, reasoning skills and knowledge of treatment skills eg, manual physiotherapy techniques, patient education, exercise classes, electrotherapy techniques and other alternative options.
- Integrates evidence-based practice into the planning and evaluation of client and program interventions taking into consideration the complexity of patients medical condition, co morbidities, behaviours that challenge and transport requirements ensuring that the service user is treated with compassion, respect and dignity. Advise and recommend to referring doctors on necessary interventions and or change of management.
- Ensures safe and clean working environment is maintained by complying with safety procedures, rules and regulations. Adheres to infection control policies and protocols when disposing, labeling and handling of all materials.
- Ensure plans and expectations for discharge are discussed and managed from the point of admission and that treatment, action plans and family meetings ensure all action points are completed and that a safe and timely discharge is achieved. Develop treatment plan to be followed by patient after discharge and advice the importance of continuing physiotherapy after discharge and to organize their physiotherapy appointments.
- Identifying treatment goals and appropriate therapy techniques and equipment to achieve goals. Conducting regular evaluation of patients to assess progress and response to therapy, revise treatment program as necessary to achieve goals. Evaluates intervention and effects of therapy treatment through reflection, analysis and outcome measures and document appropriately
- To contribute to the maintenance of office space, therapy areas, equipment and stock inventories, including accurate recording of equipment issued to patients.
- Assess patients’ understanding of treatment proposals, gain valid informed consent and have the capacity to work within a legal framework with patients who lack capacity to consent to treatment.
Qualifications, Skills & Relevant Experience:
- Completed a diploma/ degree in Physiotherapy or equivalent from a recognized academic institution.
- Registered and in good standing with the Board of Physiotherapists Council of Kenya.
- Minimum of 3 years of related physiotherapy experience with Comprehensive knowledge of physiotherapy interventions, practice methods and professional skills
- Knowledge & Experience of ICU Physiotherapy.
- ACLS Certified
- Comprehension and language capability effective listening, observation and facilitation skills to effectively assess clients and provide appropriate treatment and consultation.
- Strong mediation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills to respond or assist in emergency situations.
- Strong collaboration skills to manage service delivery in conjunction with health care professionals, clients, their family members/caregivers/substitute decision makers.
- Ability to think critically, and be innovative to create/modify strategy or intervention techniques to suit the individual needs of clients.
If you fit the required profile and are interested in the position, please send your application highlighting how your qualifications, experience and career aspirations match the requirements for the position. Submit your cover letter and detailed C.V including three professional referees and details of your telephone contacts, to be received not later than 20 August 2019.
Applicant MUST quote the job title. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.