About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE RECEIVED ONLY THROUGH THIS LINK, PLEASE APPLY HERE: https://grnh.se/dff9a7f21
The One Acre Fund Seed Laboratory sited in the Kakamega KHQ office is under the sourcing department. Through competent seed laboratory staff, ensures that OAF farmers are supplied with high-quality seeds and planting materials by running several quality checks before the seed is dispatched from suppliers.
OAF Seed Laboratory Technician role involves running seed sample testing, machine and equipment management, seed laboratory data collection and management, organizing the cleaning and arrangement of the laboratory
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating and overseeing OAF seed sampling at all OAF and Supplier warehouse.
- Carrying out refresher training to the warehouse team to ensure correct sampling steps have been adhered to.
- Supervising the sampling exercise to ensure we get accurate sample representation
- Planning and Coordinating the Inground tests at OAF research station.
- Setting up meetings with PI team leads for planning to know how many demo plots are available for use
- Supervising the casuals to ensure that plots are well prepared.
- Overseeing the planting exercise.
- Proactively monitoring data records and regularly taking data to confirm accuracy.
- Reviewing seed lab Standard Operating Procedures in conjunction with your supervisor.
- Monitor temperature in various test rooms and walk-in test rooms to ensure that the tests are conducted accurately and consistently.
Sample Tests (40%)
- Planning and Coordinating the coco peat and paper towel germination tests to ensure samples meet the minimum ISTA recommended standards.
- In charge of the Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) test at the lab laboratory. Running the MLND ELISA test on maize sorghum and millet seed samples for countries prone to MLND (Kenya, Tanzania Uganda, and Rwanda.)
- Conduct Moisture on all seed samples to ensure that the moisture content in seed meets the ISTA set standard for each seed variety.
- Carry out purity tests on all seed and germination material samples. This will include pest and weevil screening.
- Assist in setting up and running any other tests as requested.
- Sending samples for further analysis to other ISTA certified external laboratories
Record management (10%)
- Timely recording of test results in the trackers. This should be done in accordance with the set standard for each seed variety.
- Ensure all hard copy laboratory records are properly stored for future reference.
Compliance :( 5%)
- Ensure that the Lab Standard operating procedures are duly followed at all times.
- Regularly review the quality manual to ensure that is up to date with the changes in the seed industry.
Other roles (5%)
- Learning other Laboratory experiments and performing experiments as necessary.
- Improve the turnaround time of laboratory tests.
- Organize the cleaning of the laboratory. Ensure that the lab kept clean at all times and set to the required standards.
- Any other duties related to One Acre Fund daily activities as may be assigned to you by your supervisor
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Biology or Agricultural Sciences
- Over 6 months of experience with testing and analysis in a laboratory setting
- Understanding of seed technology
- Computer Proficiency in word processing, database, and spreadsheet software
- Strong analytical
- Has a Keen eye to detail.
- High-level data record-keeping and accuracy.
- Great interpersonal skills
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Kenya.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.