Primary Location: Kilimani and Westlands
Employee Status: Full time, Limited Term
Reports into: Company Founders
Restaurant Managers develop a team of dedicated people delivering great guest experiences and profitable top line sales. They are responsible for the overall operations of the Westlands and Kilimani restaurants according to Mama Rocks Burger Kitchen standards.
- Team Environment - Promote a team environment by fostering respect, providing coaching and feedback, recognizing achievements, resolving employee concerns and communicating effectively. Hire, train, and develop the right people and plan staffing levels to meet guest and business needs. Continuously learn while passing on knowledge and skills to help others develop and grow. Hold themselves and team accountable for responsibilities and results.
- Operations Excellence for Guest Satisfaction - Hold guests as highest priority and role model exceptional guest service. Lead by example and promote an environment where there is a sense of urgency to satisfy guests. Ensure Brand standards and systems are executed. Engage and empower team to develop solutions that drive business results.
- Profitability - Drive sales through effective execution of restaurant standards and marketing initiatives. Delegate and lead processes to control labor costs, food costs, and cash. Ensure the safety and security of team and guests through a focus on preventative maintenance and cleanliness. Analyze restaurant environment and business results to identify opportunities and action plan with their team to set and achieve goals. Comply with all restaurant, Brand, and Mama Rocks Burger Kitchen policies.
- Able to clearly express oneself verbally and in writing (English)
- Math and financial management
- Proven work experience as a Restaurant Manager, Restaurant General Manager, Hospitality Manager or similar role
- Proven customer service experience as a Manager
- Extensive food and beverage (F&B) knowledge, with ability to remember and recall ingredients and dishes to inform customers and wait staff
- Strong leadership, motivational and people skills
- Acute financial management skills
- BSc degree in Business Administration; hospitality management or culinary schooling is a plus
- To be hands on and involved with operations – to step into the cooking process at times
- To keep a cool and controlled manner when dealing with staff in the public arena
- Human Resources and Payroll experience
- Guest Focus – anticipate and understand guests’ needs and exceed their expectations.
- Passion for Results – set compelling targets and deliver on commitments.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – make good decisions based on analysis, experience and judgment.
- Building Effective Teams – get the right people in the right places, enabling them to make decisions and celebrate success as a team.
- Conflict Management – use interpersonal skills to confront tough issues and resolve disagreements constructively.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others – provide honest feedback to team members, actively coaching and supporting them to achieve personal and professional goals.
Company Overview: Mama Rocks is a gourmet burger restaurant founded in 2016 specialising in African influenced burgers, sides and drinks.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Work with Shift Supervisors at both locations to identify and resolve gaps in training, service and standards.
- Ensure Mama Rocks standards are upheld at both locations in terms of service delivery, cleanliness and food presentation.
- Increase efficiencies in operations
- Deal with any escalations from the Shift Supervisor team
- Address any maintenance and repair issues
- Run reports on daily sales/monthly sales using the POS system and work with Founders and F&B Controller to improve the bottom line
- Conduct formal monthly 1:1’s with the Shift Supervisor Team setting clear objectives and expectations
- Ensure the Supervisor team are conducting their 1:1’s and probation reviews with the wider team
- Ensure Shift Supervisor team are completing their opening and closing checklist
- Oversea the payroll to ensure all information is submitted to the Accounts for new starters and leavers at both locations
- Address any disciplinaries and grievances within the supervisor team following the Mama Rocks Staff Policy
- Develop training programme for the Supervisor team, by identifying gaps in knowledge and addressing them accordingly
- Analysing customer feedback from Get Point survey, the mystery shopper survey and Google feedback
- Respond efficiently and accurately to customer complaint escalations
- Keep a close working relationship with Mama Rocks Partners (Yum and Uber eats) to ensure service delivery and the customer experience is optimal.
- Regularly review product quality and research new restaurants
- Appraise staff performance and provide feedback to Founders
- Estimate future needs for goods, kitchen utensils and cleaning products
- Ensure compliance with sanitation and safety regulations
- Manage restaurant’s good image and suggest ways to improve it
- Control operational costs and identify measures to cut waste
- Promote the brand in the local community through word-of-mouth and restaurant events
- Recommend ways to reach a broader audience (e.g. discounts and social media ads)
- Work with the Lead Line Cooks and Kitchen Supervisor to train new and current employees on proper customer service practices
- Implement policies and protocols that will maintain future restaurant operations
- Check stock quality and quantity – return anything below standard
- Work closely with Founders to meet revenue objectives
- Communicate with staff regarding changes, messages from Founders to outline expectations, individual and branch performance
- Engage with City Council, Media, potential suppliers, customers in a professional manner
- Ensuring that we comply with Health & Safety, City Council and Fire regulations – flagging any expiry dates to Founders in a timely manner.
ABOUT MAMA ROCKS BURGER KITCHEN
In January 2016 Mama Rocks brought the African Style Gourmet Burger to the vibrant city of Nairobi, via our food truck based in The Yard, Westlands. Catering to Nairobi’s growing young middle-class professionals we are Africa’s answer to Hard Rock Café with the same emphasis on strong merchandising, branding and broad appeal. Mama Rocks is still in it's early days but has the potential to be a truly global African brand.
African food is some of the tastiest in the world but on the whole underrepresented in the culinary scene. Mama Rocks is on a mission to change that. Mama Rocks Burgers fuses the premium Western Style burger with the distinct flavour influences of the four corners of Africa - a one of a kind and winning amalgamation. Each burger has a catchy, memorable name to back up their unforgettable flavour.
Mama Rocks does not just offer the same dining experience offered in most casual dining restaurants; Instead, customers will find themselves overwhelmed by the friendly and engaging personalities and exciting music and art-based environment. From “door to door,” the Mama Rock’s staff will take great care of customers in order to ensure they are satisfied and ensure that Mama Rocks is the place that our guests return to and recommend to their friends.
Our name pays homage the traditional African woman. Like Mama Rocks, she is the centre of the community. Inclusive, Mama Rocks will bring multicultural Nairobi together in one spot, a cultural culinary experience for indigenous and non-indigenous guests alike. By day: that place to go to catch up with friends, that unique venue to have that business meeting or for the soloist surfing the net. By night: the place to chill out with partners for that relaxed evening meal, the hub for African arts - nurturing the talent of musicians, comedians, providing emerging artists with a platform to exhibit their creations and the spot for Nairobi’s notable events calendar after parties.
The Mama Rocks concept celebrates ‘New Africa’. Just like the new generation of Africans Mama Rocks is urban, fearless and open to the world.