The successful candidate will maximize efficiency of the lodge in order to achieve the targets/budgets set by top management in terms of sales, profitability, production, administration, strategies and future development; to plan, direct, and/or coordinate the operations of the lodge and ensure maintenance of quality standards of service and the development of business, people and product.
Reports to: Administration Director
Job Functions: Marketing, public relations, leadership and management
Industries: Hotel / Catering / Hospitality / Leisure
Remuneration: Ksh. 125,000 Monthly
- Marketing: To be aware of competitors and customer trends ensuring that product/market development strategy increases market share through innovative strategies.
- Sales: Implement company sales policies within each revenue department and personally participate in selling the services to all potential markets.
- To meet and exceed expected budgets, the Lodge General Manager shall, in conjunction with the Director of Operations and other relevant stakeholders, prepare an annual business plan and be responsible for enhancing targets therein.
- Shall ensure in liaison with the Financial Controller/Manager, that effective revenue control procedures are in place and that audits and spot checks are carried out and to ensure that all revenue is protected.
- Monitor the control of Food & Beverage margins and costs and take any remedial action to ensure compliance with budgets. To ensure that all departmental expenses are controlled and contained within agreed budges.
- To ascertain the correctness of monthly stock taking, follow up on any deficiencies and take remedial action against recurrence of the same.
- Product & Service Standards:
- Ensure Lodge Brand standards for all departments are of the highest quality, benchmarked against competition and staff inducted effectively.
- In liaison with the lodge management team and purchasing department, implement and maintain an effective purchasing system for all purchases, safeguarding specs and ensuring company policy is adhered to.
- In liaison with the Marketing Executive, ensure that there is a structured sales plan in place and it is constantly updated and reviewed in light of changing trends and business demands.
- To investigate and resolve any complaints or adverse comments received from guests to the satisfaction of the guest and reply to all complaints. To maintain analysis of complaint trends.
- Ensure that service standards for all departments are of the highest quality to meet or surpass the customers’ expectations.
- Human Resources Management at the lodge with the assistance of the Lodge HR assistant and the Group HR office:
- To actively participate in the recruitment, selection and placement, induction, training, appraisal, career development and discipline in the lodge while maintaining staff levels within approved budget.
- Be a trainer and motivator.
- In line with company policies, ensure that the disciplinary and grievance procedure is upheld at all times.
- To ensure that the appraisal system in place is upheld at the unit level.
- In liaison with the Group Human Resources office, implement a system for development and succession planning for key staff.
- In liaison with the Group Human Resources office, draw up and implement a training plan for the hotel and evaluate performance on the prescribed time frame to ensure effectiveness.
- Ensure the adherence to agreed policies and procedures of the company in all departments.
- Statutory requirements: To ensure compliance with all statutory requirements set by the law for the Hotel Industry in the country including annual medical examinations, local authority inspections and acquisition of licenses.
- Administration & Finance: Ensure safe allocation and full and accurate accounting of all money received and/or spent.
- Public relations: To maintain a high visibility profile to in-house customers, commercial, social and governmental communities and participate in community development.
- Safety & Security: To set up of a safety & security committee within the lodge to regularly review various emergency procedures and to test their effectiveness.
- Reports & Reviews: To compile and forward all reports and returns for all user departments on the due dates in line with company policy.
- Inspections: To conduct regular inspections of the property and ensure facilities are maintained to required standards.
- Engineering & Planned Preventative Maintenance:
- To implement a planned and preventive maintenance plan that ensures that the property is maintained at the highest possible level within budgeted guidelines.
- To ensure the carrying out of disciplined schedule of ‘house inspections’, the aim being to control quality of the standards of service in rooms and public areas.
- In liaison with the Operations Manager and Group Human Resources office, ensure that all issues regarding the Occupational Safety & Health Act are adhered to and that a safe environment is continually maintained for our guests and staff.
- Communication: Establish and maintain effective communications including weekly meetings to ensure optimum team work.
- To assist the Directors in any other duties relating to the Lodge as may be assigned from time to time.
- The job holder should be 35 years of age and above
- A university degree & masters holder
- Professional qualifications: Degree in Hotel Management or similar from a recognized institution would be an added advantage
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years’ experience at senior management in a lodge environment with general all round exposure.
- Interpersonal skills: A dynamic positive individual with excellent communication skills and a pro-active nature.
- Ability to counsel, coach and develop an effective team.
- Ideal candidate to be result oriented, self-motivated, have personal initiative.
- Ability to offer butler-like service to the guests to their satisfaction, exceeding their expectations and motivate the associates to do so.
- Be able to achieve results based on set budget targets and quality performance standards.
- A clear understanding of ‘process reviews’ and finding innovative solutions for ‘process improvements’ together with an ability to ‘implement process changes’ in an orderly and effective manner, will be a basic requirement.
- Clarity in communication
- Strong marketing & sales skills
- Strong time management and decision making skills
- Quality and bottom-line orientation
- Ability to produce & adhere to business plans and budgets
- An eye for detail
- A holistic business approach
- Friendly to both associates and guests
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the requirements to send their applications and detailed CVs with a day – time telephone number and details of three professional referees.
Applications should be received by 15th November, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted