DECLARATION OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title : LOGISTICS AND CUSTOMS OFFICER
Reports to : OPERATIONS MANAGER
Department : LOGISTICS
Location : Nairobi
To conduct all clearing and forwarding related operations at the ICD in a timely manner to ensure that all cargo is cleared on time.
Job roles & responsibilities
- Confirmation/verification of received shipment documents.
- Advising on additional information /documents required.
- Confirmation of invoices to ensure values tally with customs valuation for similar items.
- Confirmation and advice on HS Codes to be used for IDF/ entries.
- Ensure documents in files are correct and in order.
- Source for the most efficient and effective transporters
- Fleet management
- Follow up of shipment tickets with KPA/ CFS.
- Liaising with Finance/Clients for payments of taxes and shipment costs
- Timely cancellation of security bonds.
- Proper records of bonds in effect and those cancelled.
- Ensure forwarding clerks have all required documents for clearance of cargo at KPA, CFS & KRA.
- Occasionally be involved in verification and physical clearance of shipments at KPA, CFS & KRA.
- Advice management on improvement areas to help realize growth.
- General (Others)
- Be conversant with the general forwarding office administration roles such as filling.
- Be involved in training and supervision of trainees.
- Timely submission of monthly Declaration
- Report to Operations Manager.
- Any other duties assigned by the Management from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely management of all clearance and forwarding complaints and errors.
- Timely and accurate processing of all entries to avoid penalties and cancellation.
- Timely bond cancellation.
- Submission of monthly Declaration Report on all shipments handled and any challenges encountered.
Education & Experience
- Diploma or Degree in C&F, logistics, procurement or any other related course
- ICMS and EACFFP Training will be an added advantage
- Minimum 5 years’ hands-on experience in port operations
- Customs Declaration
- Conversant with all customs procedures.
Personal Attributes and Competencies:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Honest and of high integrity
- Work under minimum supervision