Reports To: Head of Beer
KBL is the No.1 FMCG Company in East Africa, with +95% share of the beer market approximately 55% of the Spirits market in Kenya. Other players in the beer market include Keroche Breweries at 3% share, Heineken at 0.3%. The Spirits landscape has numerous players key among them being Distell, LDK and KWAL.
- Listed in the Nairobi, Dar-es-Salaam and Kampala Stock Exchange, trading under the EABL umbrella, it is the most capitalised business in the East and Central Africa Region.
- It is also the second most profitable business in the region.
- KBL is on double digit (TP/NSV) growth YOY.
- KBL is responsible for both supply and demand for beer & spirits and soft drinks.
- It operates 1 brewery & 1 distiller and also markets/distributes a strong portfolio of global brands.
- KBL supply supports KBL, UBL, and EABLi.
- With a profit contribution of GBP 118, KBL accounts for 25% of Diageo Africa trading profit.
- The size of the beer market in Kenya is estimated at close to 10m HL. With a population of over 40m people, there is potential to grow this market. There is a large informal alcohol sector which traditional brews dominate.
- KBL brands sell out of approx. 30,000 retail outlets.
This role is a senior position within the Kenya Marketing team and integral to the leadership of the Tusker Lager & Cider in Kenya. The role is critical to the overall EABL (K) short, medium and long-term strategy as it leads the implementation of the brand strategy and full breadth of execution of activities in Tusker Lager & Cider.
The role is expected to provide leadership and coaching to the Tusker Brand Manager with robust talent development interventions.
This role has the responsibility of providing leadership and direction to the Tusker Brand Manager as a direct report.
This role will also have leadership responsibilities in the areas below :-
- Work with the commercial teams to ensure their commitment and engagement in the plans, in order to deliver flawless execution.
- Inspire and motivate agencies to execute brilliantly - working pre-dominantly with promotions and media agencies.
- Be a brilliant line manager and leader for the brand managers in your team.
- Champions brand agenda in Kenya to deliver GAME plan.
- Evaluate key programmes to build learnings.
- Leads execution of the strategic marketing plans, with commitment and participation from key stakeholders, so as to achieve volume, mix, market share and profit objectives.
- Leads the development of the brands Game Plans and ensures brand positioning is clear, consistent and distinctive. Champions the concept of brand equity in his/her brands.
- Leads the client/agency relationship and challenges the agency to ensure best possible output on the brand. Leads the agency to achieve innovative media plans which optimize the marketing budget and maximize impact.
- Leads the development of sound packaging changes, which optimize the brand’s message and image. Assesses packaging through a clear understanding of brand values, consumer motivations and the competitive context.
- Utilizes data to anticipate competitive and consumer trends, assesses strategic implications and optimizes business potential based on analysis.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- 1st Degree in a business related field.
- CIM Qualifications
- Minimum 7+ years experience with a minimum 4 years experience in consumer marketing.
- Strong commercial exposure and understanding.
- High level of Emotional energy
- Enhanced Strategic penetration
- Strong people performance – able to inspire and mobilise people (both direct reports and a broad range of others) to deliver great results
- Strong project management skills – able to manage multiple projects, and execute them all well
NB: Failure to complete the Assessment will lead to automatic disqualification.