REPORTING TO: MEDICAL SUPERINTENDENT
To offer clinical and administrative leadership , Nursing unit, Clinical Officers, - to ensure safe and excellent quality services efficiency and best possible according to the set Standard Operating Procedures, ethics and professional standards/ requirements.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Good clinical skills - history taking, physical examination, ordering appropriate laboratory investigations and make appropriate diagnosis. Clinical assessment and prescription of treatment for all patients.
- Provide effective supervision to Clinical Officers, Nurses including objective setting, performance management, and mentoring, enhancing clinical acumen and ensure staff productivity is optimized.
- Oversee the efficient referral and admission of patients in liaison with other departments.
- Lead the department in development, implementation and review of Standard Operating Procedures for the assigned department aimed at providing safe and quality healthcare to patients.
- Provide counselling and psychological support to the patient and relatives.
- Attend departmental meetings to build teamwork, communicate, identify problems and agree on solutions, evaluate departmental performance etc.
- Monitor adherence to the standardized hazardous and other waste disposal techniques.
- Actively participate in projects of quality healthcare such as CME’s, health talks, rational prescription audits, mortality audits, medical camps.
- Lead the Department to achieve local and international quality management standards.
- Ensure you work with consultants to provide specialized care to clients.
- Manage medical emergencies. Ensure emergency medical preparedness as the emergency team leader and ensure emergency drills are performed.
- Perform minor surgeries where applicable.
- Properly document treatment on HIS and patients files. Reassess and follow up of patients.
- Conduct mortality audits for all deaths occurring in the facility together with other staff working in the unit and share the reports with the Medical Superintendent on a monthly basis
- Patient IP file documentation compliance.
- OPD consultation.
- Round of IP and follow up on review and ensuring timely medication.
- Updating consultants about the critical laboratory reports.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- MBChB holding a valid practicing license and retention certificate from The Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board.
- Valid certification in at least either ATLS/ACLS/ or-BLS certification as applicable.
- Sound Clinical knowledge.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a busy hospital.
- Be able to mobilize and lead response to a patient in a pre- arrest or arrest state, activate the Emergency Response Team and actively participate in techniques of cardiopulmonary resuscitation accurately and effectively.
- Good communication (written and verbal) skills, including well developed presentation skills
- Ability to operate equipment used in care delivery.
- Knowledge of the wide range of medications used in Casualty.