The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a research and advisory firm that uses state-of-the-art advances in experimentation, data science, and behavioral science in pursuit of poverty alleviation. Busara is a US 501(c)3 organization with headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, and an active project presence across Africa and other markets. Busara works with academics, policymakers, and private companies across all sectors.
As Busara grows, we are looking for an experienced Mobile Apps Developer to join our development team.
You will be working closely with an existing team of developers, project teams, and lab teams to support existing client projects and creatively develop solutions.
The role will be responsible for offering inspirational space to create the next innovation in mobile applications, the development, and maintenance of applications, and integration to backend services. The role will champion the best standards for the development of mobile platforms.
Your role and responsibilities
- Gather, document and craft technical and system design requirements
- Develop and support mobile gaming apps
- Write up UI/UX requirements
- Create interface mockups for mobile applications
- Work from these mockups to build functional, high-performance applications (web and mobile)
- Provide training and support to internal teams
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Implement security and data protection policies on applications.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the project supervisor or direct manager
Skills & Requirements
- Strong understanding of the Android and iOS mobile OS, their strengths and bottlenecks
- Strong enthusiast of agile methodologies such as scrum, etc
- Analytical skills: the ability to recognize the needs of customers and create new applications that answer those needs
- Communication: ability to clearly communicate ideas to coders, teammates, and management
- Ability to creatively invent new ways of approaching problems and developing innovative applications
- Strong understanding of the mobile stack and how it integrates to other development stacks including RESTful APIs, database systems, security, performance tuning, cloud message APIs, secure offline storage, mobile data extraction and push notifications
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
- Familiarity with the use of additional sensors, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, etc.
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
Nice to Have
- Understanding and experience in native Android development with Java and/or Kotlin
- Experience in developing hybrid apps with Flutter, React Native, or Ionic is a plus
- Java background is a plus
- Experience with Angular is a plus
We will offer you a competitive salary and health insurance and a dynamic work environment with an opportunity for growth.