Company Overview: Baran Telecom Networks Kenya Limited (BTN Kenya), is a leading Telecom and software solutions company delivering unparalleled, scalable, cost-effective, and secure telecom solutions. From global cellular data connectivity to industry-leading device management and IoT infrastructure platforms, Baran Telecom network sets standards for tomorrow’s enterprise solutions.
Vacancy: Network Engineer - SD-WAN
The Network Engineer provides expert network engineering approaches for IT Infrastructure. The evaluation, design and documentation of solutions are at the core of the network engineer's service catalog. Network Engineers lead, plan, design, and implement LAN / WAN solutions in alignment with security technology and business needs. The engineer is also responsible for identifying and tasking junior engineers on life cycle management programs to reduce unplanned outages and retire obsolete hardware. This role will focus on Network and Application performance, availability and monitoring.
Our clients have the typical challenges of balancing the sustainability of legacy platforms and applications while embracing new technology which in time will replace legacy. They are committed to change as they adapt to a more demanding and client led sector and see an opportunity to add value through technology and process innovation. We require someone who understands complexities of compliance and is not just driven by implementing technology for the sake of it. It must have business value so the ability to see the bigger picture is key.
- Bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications, Information Technology or a related field.
- Experience in network engineering
- Experience in deployment with in a busy technology company
- Current professional to expert level network certifications such as Cisco's CCNP, CCNA, or demonstrated level of equivalent knowledge.
- In-depth routing protocols experience - BGP, OSPF, HSRP, VRRP and Experience with reporting protocols and tools - NetFlow, sFlow, ntop, Splunk, etc.
- Responsible for supporting and optimizing a large scale, complex, high performance network
- Provide network engineering and design in support of enterprise network devices and services
- Design and provide support of Routers, Switches, Security Solutions, VPNs, L4-7 Load Balancers, SDN and Network Management Solutions across LAN/WAN.
- Act as a technical contributor with advanced knowledge and experience in one or more areas; Networking with WAN technologies (Remote Access, Wireless, Routing Protocols, QOS), Networking with LAN technologies (VLANs, Spanning Tree, VoIP technologies) as well as a high-level understanding of routing protocols such as EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP, Open source Tools, Solarwinds, DevExpert, MRTG, Rancid and others.
- You will be heavily involved in developing automation based upon analysing and identifying significant opportunities where automation can tackle volume, systemic or critical operational issues.
- Drive quality into the metrics we report, including measurement of our issues, network capacity, vendor equipment/failures analysis and network performance, as well as continual assessment of the quality and effectiveness of our network monitoring and alarming.
- Provide support as an escalation for lower tier support systems groups; Provides guidance or direction to lower level engineers and engage external vendor support as required.
- Test performance and provide performance statistics and reports;
It would be great if someone has a lot of experience in this role but the base skills and behaviours/attitude/talent is most important so we will consider different levels.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume. Please include “Application for a Network Engineer - SD-WAN” in the subject line.
Application deadline: November 8th, 2019.