The Network Operation Centre (NOC) have three main roles:
- to ensure maximum possible service availability and performance
- to provision customer network services on core equipment
- to coordinate support services for field engineering and other technical teams
These result in a highly diverse range of duties for the NOC - our engineers are required to ensure they are fulfilled in a timely, co-operative and professional manner.
We interact frequently with technical support, service provisioning and sales teams so it's important that we are clear and concise in our communications. We also work very closely with third party technology firms and as such need to develop a good all-round understanding of systems and networks. Diligence and attention to detail are also key skills along with an ability to multi-task and prioritise work appropriately.
Importantly, NOC engineers must have a solid understanding of helpdesk flow processes and processes; they must be eager and quick to learn, be clear communicators and must be able to use their initiative to tackle a broad range of problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and maintain the HelpDesk System in place (these report on the status and performance of network, ISP services and facilities).
- Fault handling and escalation (identifying and responding to faults on the helpdesk system, liaising with field engineers and 3rd party suppliers, handling escalation through to resolution).
- Provisioning (IP assignment, core network configuration, DNS setup, monitoring and graphing for colocation, leased lines, customer backup and other customer network services).
- Server build and installs, application upgrades, network equipment build and installation.
- Maintaining hardware serial audits, writing custom monitoring plugins and configuring bespoke graphing.
- Facilities maintenance (monitoring and management of air-conditioning, UPS, generators, power usage, running health and safety and housekeeping checks).
- Facilities provisioning (installing racks, setting up power, installing ethernet, fibre and console cabling, remote power and KVM).
- Maintenance of WIKI and technical documentation (for NOC) of processes and procedures used throughout normal operations.
- Development of knowledge and skills in network and system administration, particularly with regard to the architecture and platforms.
- Tier 3 Support for co-location, customer backup network and ISP services.
- Participate in a 24x7 call-out rota if required.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- A minimum of 12-18 months experience in a Technical Support or similar role.
- Good communicator with a natural aptitude for dealing with people.
- Good network diagnostic skills.
- Mikrotik and Cisco skills.
- System Administration skills.
- Work well in a busy team, being quick to learn and able to deal with a wide range of issues.
- Strong analytical skills and able to collate and interpret data from various sources.
- Ability to assess and prioritise faults and respond or escalate accordingly.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: NOC ENGINEER
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Min 12-18 Months experience in a Technical Support or similar role.
- Proven track record within a NOC, IT or ISP environment.
- Good academic background with a degree or equivalent qualification in Information Technology, Business Studies, Computing or relevant subject. Or certifications in CCNA
- Basic knowledge of the OSI model, switching and internet routing technologies (to junior network administrator level).
- Knowledge of Miktorik and CISCO kernel, command line and system diagnostics (to junior sysadmin level).
- Basic understanding of network monitoring concepts and management tools.
- Exposure to scripting basics. Experience of scripting (Perl, Bash) and other web application languages (SQL,PHP).
- Able to collate and interpret data from various sources.
- Ability to assess faults, prioritise, respond and escalate accordingly.
- Capable of multi-tasking, good time management and prioritisation of workload.
- Clear communicator (both written and verbal).
- Experience with switching and internet routing technologies.
- Strong network diagnostic skills.
- Experience configuring internet applications such as Apache, Exim, BIND.
- CCNA Certified
- Experience of network monitoring tools and protocols (MRTG, RRD, NAGIOS, SNMP).
- Experience of analysing system and network performance using monitoring and graphical data.
- Experience of diagnosing network and service issues, following them through to resolution.
- Keen to be involved in a wide variety of ISP services.
- Good technical or WIKI documentation skills.
- Willing to learn and develop new skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- ‘Can do’ attitude.
- Co-operate with other teams.
- Good self-awareness.
- Actively seeks out tasks that help develop skills and knowledge.
- Actively seeks ways of improving existing systems and processes.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to problem solving.
- Actively encourage strong working relationships with other teams.