Application Deadline: 25 March 2019
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
About the Company
Turaco is an insurance intermediary that designs customer-focused insurance products, markets to partners and end customers and manages customer and claims administration, in collaboration with local insurers in East Africa. Turaco offers on-demand health loans so customers can get care at our network of clinics or hospitals and pay back over time. We understand that the microinsurance market requires innovative and bespoke solutions. At Turaco we value simplicity, communication and transparency and strive to transform the way insurance works. When it comes to claims, our goal is to pay out, and fast.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
The Operations Officer reports to the Operations Lead of Turaco and is responsible for the following:
- Ensure all institutional clients submit monthly policies by the fifth (5th) working day of a new month to Turaco.
- Ensure individual policies sold by field officers are correctly captured into the system for appropriate insurance provision.
- Follow up and ensure partners pay premiums, commissions and fees within defined turnaround times (where applicable).
- Capture all details of billed and collected premiums, commissions and fees (where applicable) to the Revenue Management Sheet.
- Maintain a record of all relevant actions from the above in the Policy Data Administration Management Tracker.
- Provide timely response to claims reported by clients within defined turnaround times to ensure a high level of operational delivery quality.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records of all claims notified in the claims management database as well as all related soft and hard copy documentation.
- Follow up on claims with outstanding documentation for a minimum of six (6) consecutive weeks and assist clients in retrieving such documents.
- Liaise with insurers to ensure valid claims are paid within agreed timelines. In the event of any doubt as to the validity of a claim, liaise with all parties to further investigate claims for final resolution.
- Demonstrate a high sense of empathy toward affected clients and clients’ staff in all claim-related interactions.
- Prepare claims reports for clients and insurers per agreed timelines.
Other Operations-Related Tasks
- Build a thorough understanding of all products and partnerships undertaken by Turaco.
- Provide assistance to partners in resolving insurance related concerns. This may involve spending a day or two every week in the clients’ office.
- Participate in training of clients’ staff and provide assistance where needed.
- Keep an up-to-date log of all Turaco’s documents in management databases.
- Build mastery of the regulatory environment for microinsurance in Kenya
- Report to management any new updates to the regulatory framework that (potentially) affect Turaco’s status and operations.
Key Qualifications & Your Profile:
- Bachelor’s degree qualification required.
- Minimum insurance qualification: Certificate of Proficiency (Desired but not mandatory).
- At least three (3) years’ work experience, preferably in an international organization and/or insurance firm.
- Strong track record of operations delivery, including administrative management, reports, contracts, business processes, and the like.
- Sound interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Experience in developing and improving operational delivery processes.
- Experience in accounting and filing statutory taxes (Desired but not mandatory).
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative; demonstrate self-motivation and energy, work well under pressure, and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to effectively present and sell concepts to managers in partner organizations who are often not familiar with insurance.
- Willingness to work as a team member with people across geographies and cultures.
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential, local language knowledge preferred.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Microsoft Excel or Access, and Word.
- Live Turaco’s values – care and protect our customers, do the right thing for our customers, and have fun!
Remuneration & Benefits:
Turaco offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.