Degree Level: Bachelor's degree, Master’s Degree is an advantage
Degree Field(s): Agriculture, farm management, or agricultural economics
Experience: Preference will be given to those with experience in agribusiness management
Location: Based in the Capital City of Kampala (with frequent travel to the rest of the country)
Contract duration: The selected candidate will be offered a Three year renewable employment contract with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds.
Desired start: As soon as possible.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with the Regional Manager and Farmer Group Focal Points to develop a market systems approach to support the concerned value chains.
- Coordinate agriculture extension services - ensure that farmers have the skills and means to maximize productivity and quality including input use, agronomy, field trials, co-operatives development, record keeping, postharvest management, business training etc.
- To plan and schedule the entire production and post-production programs including planting schedules, coordinate input access and delivery, agronomy plans, training, harvesting and aggregation in line with contractual obligations.
- Take lead in the implementation of the developed strategy to achieve agreed targets including linkages, partnership, income, production and productivity targets;
- Facilitate market-driven linkages between relevant government agencies, agribusiness producers, consolidators, processors, exporters and other market actors to ensure effective partnerships and collaborations on agri-business and investment opportunities;
- The manger will look after all the accounts of the business and make sure that they are making profits
- Establish a business model that is economically and agronomically viable for small holder farmers/ co-operatives and farmer groups.
- Maintain good contacts with vendors that sell quality and certified inputs
- Coordinate and oversee post-harvest management activities
- Be proactive to advice on potential and actual production risks and mitigation measures.
- Manage data (accurate) regarding farmers including analysis to help in making decisions such as offer for loans/ insurance/ hire of machinery services/ production forecast/logistics and any new investments.
Requisite Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven leadership, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Practical knowledge of market analysis, project cycle and results-based management (RBM);
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, including private sector (financial institutions, exporters, buyers, traders), private sector research institutions, donors, governments and producers;
- Detail oriented and able to efficiently and accurately manage budgets; and
- Excellent writing and spoken English communication skills.
Please submit your application letter and CV, together with an indication of your current salary and compensation package by 28th February, 2019.
Application will be reviewed and interviews conducted on a rolling basis to identify appropriate candidates as soon as possible.