Job Summary: To carry out all maternity services during antenatal, admission, delivery and at discharge for both mother and child.
Ladies are encouraged to apply.
- Possess at least a diploma in nursing
- Registration Certificate issued by the Nursing Council of Kenya;
- Valid Practicing License from Nursing Council of Kenya
- At least Two years on experience in a busy hospital environment
- Certification in BLS or ACLS will be an added advantage
- Computer literacy and hands on experience is a must
- Registered by KRCHN
- Ensure the highest degree of standards in maternity nurse activity
- Nurses with specialized experience in maternity and theatre will have added advantage
- Should be flexible to work in odd hours when required,
Key Duties and responsibilities
- Performing appropriate treatments as ordered by the doctor or the CO in an accurate and timely manner.
- Carries out patient assessment for assigned patients prior to discharge and documents the summary on nurses’ records;
- Supports/actively participates in quality improvement initiatives within the unit and institution;
- Actively participates in developing nursing policies, guidelines, procedures
- Should be able to setup and manage a unit e.g. clinics like MCH, Antenatal etc
- Manage pregnant women through the complete phase of their pregnancy.
- Providing individualized patient/family education and discharge planning customized to the patient and their family.
- Support mothers and their newborns through maternity nursing care.
- Documenting patient assessment findings, physical/psychosocial responses to nursing intervention and progress towards problem resolution.
- Initiating emergency resuscitative measures according to resuscitation, basic and advanced life support protocols.
- Ensuring that all supplies necessary to nursing duties are available
- Detect labor symptoms in women and provide appropriate nursing care.
- Monitor vital signs including pulse rate and blood pressure while in labor.
- Check baby’s condition while in labor using fetal monitor or Doppler.
- Assist doctor in charge in providing maternity nursing care to mothers and their babies during ward rounds
- Screen and monitor new mothers and their babies’ health while under maternity nursing care.
- Instruct and counsel new mothers in handling and breastfeeding their babies.
- Assist new mothers in bathing, changing and feeding of their babies.
- Assist and support obstetricians in treating newborns if they are ill.
- Ensure comfort to mothers and babies while executing maternity nurse functions
- Maintain detailed logs for their patients, including the sleeping and eating habits of newborns under their care
- Give comprehensive nursing care to premature babies
- Always strives to portray a positive image of our Institution, within and outside;
- Maintaining confidentiality in matters related to patient, family and client facility staff.
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned from time to time depending on the need and urgency.
- Reporting patient’s condition to appropriate personnel during each shift.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and detailed CV clearly stating the job you are applying for in the subject and current & expected Gross salary.