Vibrant Village Foundation is a 501(c)3 private foundation based in Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. Founded in 2010, the Foundation supports communities in the areas of health and nutrition, clean water, agricultural development, education, the arts, and poverty reduction. The Foundation makes grants to non-profit organizations in 14 countries around the world and directly manage programs from our offices in Ecuador, Ghana, and Kenya. Our goal is to achieve measurable and long-term results to improve lives and strengthen communities.
Since 2014, VV Kenya has implemented and grown a dual-faceted program that 1) provides over 5,000 rural, small-holder farmers with training, credit and inputs to increase yield and soil quality and 2) provides an in-school reading and math program to over 4,000 struggling primary school students. We also run an adult education program currently enrolling over 1,000 students. This program employs almost 50 full-time employees and works closely with 100 volunteers who are involved on a daily and weekly basis. The program is currently located in Vihiga and Siaya Counties, Kenya which is just north of Kisumu.
The Foundation is recruiting a full-time Program Director to oversee the current program operations and to direct the potential expansion of this unique program to new locations within Kenya or beyond. We seek an exceptional individual who will be responsible for managing this important program and related operations.
The Program Director will oversee staff recruitment, training, and supervision, and will report to and work directly with the Foundation’s HQ leadership team based in Portland, Oregon, USA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Management (40%)
- Oversee the continued operations of Vibrant Village Foundation in Kenya;
- Provide technical and strategic leadership and direction for implementation of Education and Agriculture programs, trial development review & scale up;
- Guide and ensure the highest quality of program delivery, including HQ/field office coordination, recruitment/hiring, partner management, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, and communications;
- Ensure compliance of local administrative, financial and logistical procedures, in accordance with the Vibrant Village Foundation’s guidelines and policies;
- Evaluate and lead the Foundation’s effort to explore and implement new opportunities to propagate the VV Kenya program to other locations.
Team Management (30%)
- Lead, manage and support the VV Kenya Senior Leadership Team to execute programs with excellence, and iterate and innovate on existing programs/systems;
- Implement continuous staff mentoring and professional development support to project staff, with emphasis on building capacity of internal team members
- Recruit, train, and supervise administrative and programmatic staff, ensuring clear scopes, reporting lines, delegations of authority, and sense of team;
- Lead and manage partnerships with external contractors – specifically our outsourced software development team through weekly check-ins, testing and co-creation of product development roadmap.
Finance, HR and IT (20%)
- Oversee the preparation of program budgets, manage tracking of expenditure pace per approved work plans and budgets;
- Ensure all internal financial and budget reports are submitted to HQ per applicable Vibrant Village Foundation standards/procedures;
- Ensure timely submission of all non-financial reports to HQ including, but not limited to Quarterly Narrative Report, Monitoring & Evaluation Report, audit reports, annual reports;
- Oversee HR function and insure the organization has processes and a team in place to handle hiring, staff reviews and professional development;
- Manage the growth and investment in IT and software applications (off-the-shelf and custom) to handle h thousands of transactions related to the agriculture program.
- Facilitate learning of regional best practices for community development and effective community leadership, including identifying opportunities for mentoring, and other capacity building activities;
- Design, develop, and implement monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems for all Vibrant Village Foundation programs in Kenya incorporating Vibrant Village Foundation’s standard impact indicators.
- Represent Vibrant Village Foundation externally with local and International NGOs, other donors, government representatives, community leaders and other stakeholders;
- Produce program reports, blogs, photo and video records, and other content for sharing Vibrant Village Foundation’s work in Kenya and share with the wider NGO community through the Vibrant Village website.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Diploma in international development, development economics, development management, business administration, or agriculture development. Agri-business field of study preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years in project and/or organizational management in East Africa – experience leading/managing large teams (i.e. more than 10 people), overseeing finance systems, working remotely, interfacing with home office, etc.
- Development experience with agriculture for small-holder farmers and/or primary education preferred. Working knowledge of sustainable agriculture techniques preferred
- Advanced computer literacy - particularly Excel, MYSQL database management and cloud-based management tools.
- Direct experience with community engagement principles and ideals, especially in the East African context.
- Experience with budget preparation and financial management.
- Experience in logistics and operations (preferred)
- Specialized skills in strategic planning, capacity building, mentoring, training and technical assistance.
- Strong communication skills: ability to effectively communicate with and coordinate a wide range of regional stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as an effective team member.
- Analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Proficiency in Swahili strongly desired
- Proven ability to mentor and build staff skills.