Position Station: Nairobi (Kenya) with 30 to 60 % travels to Somalia
Direct Line Manager: Head of Mission
Technical Supervisor: SIF HQ-based Technical Referents (FSL, WaSH, Education,)
Working Linkage: Emergency Desk Officer, Field Coordinator, Programs teams
Position Category: National or third country national (citizens of the East African Community authorized to work in Kenya)
Overview of Organisation and Mission:
Founded in 1991, Secours Islamique France (SIF) is a non-governmental organization of international solidarity with a social and humanitarian mission of delivering principled emergency response, rehabilitation, and development programs. With global headquarters in Massy, France, SIF is presence in 17 countries across the world and operate without regards to race, religion, gender or social origin.
SIF started humanitarian operations in Kenya in April 2012 and subsequently opened a field office in Somalia (Kismayo, Jubaland state) in August 2014.The operations in both of these two different countries have been since maintained under a central management umbrella called the Kenya & Somalia Mission, with the Coordination Office domiciled in Nairobi, Kenya. In Kenya, the Mission had implemented seasonal projects mainly in Arid and Semi-Arid Land (ASAL) areas in Wajir and Tana River Counties through provision of life-saving food voucher assistance and sacrifice meat during demanding period like Ramadan and Aid al Adha and emergency response including the 2018 floods response in Tana River County. Also, it implemented bee’s hives and poultry project in the Wajir, Tana River, and Garissa counties area as well as youth empowerment project (education) in the Nairobi slum area. As for Somalia, from the inception the Mission confined its operations to the Kismayo town area, a relatively secure zone in Jubaland state that hosts over 184 IDPs camps as of February 2019 and several two returnee camps. SIF has realised several projects in Somalia such as the aforesaid seasonal projects, fishery, emergency responses (water supply, NFIs for shelter and hygiene promotion, etc) and integrated food security and livelihoods projects including unconditional cash grants, small-scale business development, vocational training, and livelihoods assets recovery.
As of 2019, the Mission envisages programmatic scale up in Somalia while maintaining its programmatic presence in north-eastern Kenyan.
Directly reporting to the Head of Mission, the Program Coordinator is in charge of the development, management / coordination / oversight of the programmatic portfolio of the Mission and coordinates provision of technical guidance to the program teams. In addition, s/he is responsible for context monitoring, the conceptualization and development of new programs and the monitoring of program quality and budgets in liaison with the Head of Mission.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Operational strategy & Coordination
- To provide strategic leadership in programming approaches and methodologies in concert with the HoM;
- To contribute to the elaboration of the mission’s operational strategy: context analysis and its evolution, elaboration of problem trees and proposed solutions, needs assessment analysis, proposal of new actions, budgeting and HR dimensioning.
- To provide technical support to Somalia programming staff
- To participate in the analysis and proposal of solutions for all decisions impacting the mission in general.
- To undertake active engagement with HQ technical referents and Desk program manager to orientating programmatic strategies of the mission in concert with Head of Mission
Project Cycle Management
- To ensure the conception of the projects: needs assessments, baseline survey, proposal writing and reporting To supervise the implementation of the projects: planning of activities, follow-up of the implementation, collect of sources of verifications.
- To provide program team with capacity building, support and guidance with respect to the Project Management cycle and provide them with the necessary tools and expertise.
- MEAL: Elaborate monitoring and evaluation tools, supervise satisfaction surveys and results, measure the realization of the projects, and propose adjustments for the projects. In so doing, institutionalize the use of mobile data collection process for all relevant assessments across the Mission;
- To define partnership modalities with the operational partners, be in charge of the partnerships, define and supervise the capacity building plans for the partners.
- To participate in the recruitment of program staff: elaborate technical tests, prepare and conduct interviews;
- Set up and sustain voice and accountability systems across all projects of the Mission including complaint response mechanism (CRM)
Supports: Admin, Finance and Logistic
- To elaborate the design of project budget in cooperation with program team, HR, Admin and logistic coordinators
- To manage the program budgets:, regular monitoring of the expenditure states according to the allocated budgets and programmatic forecasts
- To determine the necessary budgetary adjustments to his programs.
- To participate in the elaboration of procurement plan in cooperation with the logistic coordinator
Representation (under HoM request)
- To represent SIF as part of the implementation of activities to operational partners and to the local and regional authorities.
- To attend conferences, coordination meetings, clusters and donors meetings as well as other relevant actors in the humanitarian field.
- To elaborate presentation projects tools (objectives, methodology, activities, results) for authorities, donors, partners etc.
Proposal writing and Reporting
- To elaborate project proposals
- To elaborate activities monthly reports for the Head of Mission
- To elaborate donors reports according to the requested deadlines.
- To elaborate ad hoc reports : mission, follow-up, survey, training, etc.
- To inform immediately the Head of Mission of any delay, conflict, problem encountered as part of the project implementation.
- To propose improvements to the intern reports formats
The task list is neither exhaustive nor restrictive and it is evolving.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years of previous experience in humanitarian/Development sectors in a senior program or Manager role with INGOs in similar context.
- Substantial experience of strategic thinking, including identifying, analyzing, problem solving and responding to opportunities and challenges and the ability to translate these into practical plans of action.
- Extensive experience of securing substantial external funding. Evidence of understanding the challenges of donor and contract management and the implications for program management.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.)
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent knowledge of Somali context
- Ability to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with partners including local authorities.
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office, especially Word and Excel.
- An understanding of and commitment to SIF’s mission and values
Familiarity with the Somali working context
Being an association with limited means, versatility and flexibility are necessary in order to overcome any difficulty temporary and exceptional.
The employee may be affected to perform other tasks in accordance with it job category, in case of need related to the functioning of the Association or to changes in its policy and it organization, and respecting the pattern of fixed-term contract.